Hatch is seeking Civil Structural Engineers with experience in metals (steel & aluminum), mining, water treatment or infrastructure in Pittsburgh, PA. The Structural Engineer will be part of an engineering team providing engineering services to large and small projects. The Structural Engineer participates in a wide range of projects covering civil foundations and structural steel design. Activities include site investigation and civil/structural steel finite element modeling for both front end planning and the detailed engineering phase for multi-discipline projects.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Engineering Manager/Lead Structural Engineer with the delivery of project requirements as they relate to scope, cost and schedule.
- Work to ensure the implementation of safety and integrity principles in structural documentation.
- Promote compliance with all relevant engineering standards and internal procedures for all design activities.
- Maintain structural engineering work procedures, specifications and computer aided design programs.
- Prepare engineering calculations.
- Prepare technical specifications.
- Provide input to engineering, operating and capital cost estimates.
- Prepare and/or review project standard specifications and design criteria.
- Participate in and contribute to design reviews.
- Manage small capital and maintenance projects.
- Assist in defining project scope.
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering from an accredited university.
- Professional Engineer license (P.E.) is a plus.
- 5+ years of experience in structural engineering design, including familiarity with concrete and steel structures.
- Ability to develop and review designs, drawings, specification, and technical memoranda.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a multidiscipline group.
- Strong communication and technical writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork are essential.
- Proficient with building and design codes (IBC, ASCE, ACI, AISC etc.) and the use of Staad Pro or similar structural analysis software.
- Structural design experience in the heavy industry environment is a plus.