This position will work within our Infrastructure Market in the Bridges Discipline for highway bridge projects, as well as bridge projects in the Railway Market and potentially other structural projects in all of Hanson’s Markets. The office location for this position is in Indianapolis, IN.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Perform complex engineering calculations, utilize computer software for analysis and design, and work efficiently with other team members for project completion.
- Assist in leading the bridge portion of projects for the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT), Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC), and Municipal/Local Government transportation projects throughout Indiana and Kentucky.
- Collaborate with senior technical staff and other project disciplines on significant projects across the country.
- Conduct analysis and design, calculation, preparation of specifications, details, and construction plans.
- Assign duties and mentor entry level staff and technicians.
- Prepare and review calculations, quantity take-offs, and opinions of probable construction costs.
- Assist in project pursuits and proposal development.
- Assist in development of project scopes and fees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with MicroStation is required.
- Experience with MS Office Suite preferred.
- Experience with structural design software packages such as Risa, Bentley Leap Bridge is required.
- Experience with Midas Civil or Larsa4D is desirable.
- Must be able to communicate complex technical concepts to engineers, clients, and/or public stakeholders.
- Must be able to build effective relationships with internal and external client bases.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team member to problem solve and learn new technical skills.
- Interest in experiencing a variety of assignments is important.
- 8-15 years of experience of highway bridge design. Railway bridge design experience is desirable.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the state of Indiana or be able to attain within 6 months.
- Registration as a P.E. in the state of Kentucky is desirable.
- Structural Engineering (S.E.) License or the ability to obtain an S.E. License is required.
- Master’s degree in Structural Engineering is desirable.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Demonstrated experience with INDOT design practices, development of bridge plans and standards, as well as Municipal/Local Government transportation standards and related discipline projects.
- Project experience with the KYTC is desirable.
- Experience on projects with complex bridge types and components.
- Participation with technical society organizations.
- Working with and managing project staff.
Working at Hanson:
- Must be able to collaborate remotely with colleagues in other offices.
- Must be willing to accept periodic out-of-town travel assignments.
- Must be willing and able to work overtime to meet project demands and deadlines.