We are requesting that all applicants include a cover letter as part of their application.
The New York Times is seeking a strategy manager to join the Strategy & Development department. Strategy & Development is a small, high-impact team that partners with the CEO and senior executives to tackle the most critical challenges and the most attractive opportunities facing the company.
The manager will report to the vice president of Strategy, and work closely with colleagues in Advertising, Audience & Brand, Consumer Revenue, Product & Design, and other areas of the company. The manager will lead or contribute to strategy projects that support the Times’s goal of doubling digital revenue by 2020.
Examples of typical day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Performing market sizing analyses
- Conducting analyses of competitive and technological trends
- Developing business cases with financial models and implementation plans
- Synthesizing expert interviews and desk research into compelling recommendations
- Designing systems and processes to help measure and manage the business
The ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience as a management consultant, working on projects that have enabled them to develop strong quantitative skills, business judgment and operational experience. However, candidates who have demonstrated leadership, excellence and the ability to thrive in demanding and relatively unstructured environments are also encouraged to apply — particularly if they have experience in media, advertising, marketing, or consumer-facing products. An MBA or equivalent educational background is a significant plus, though not required.
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Ability to break down complex problems into pieces that can be solved with data, analysis, assumptions and judgment
- Ability to create financial models, strategic frameworks and presentations on par with leading management consulting firms
- Ability to communicate — both in writing and in person — clearly, concisely and persuasively
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and with limited oversight
- Commitment to the highest standards of honesty and integrity
- Enthusiasm for collaboration, and building strong, trusting relationships with colleagues across all levels and areas of the company
- Enthusiasm for receiving, sharing and acting on regular feedback
- Deep interest in and understanding of trends and competitive challenges facing the media industry, and The Times in particular
- Passion for The New York Times and the impact its journalism can have on our world