Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
Benchling is hiring a Corporate Strategy Lead for its Strategy team, who will be responsible for a range of strategic planning activities across new market opportunities. We are looking for an entrepreneurial individual to drive market analysis and prioritization, support business development and corporate development, and work across market leads to build a unified plan. The successful candidate will demonstrate structured thinking, exceptional communication skills, and deep empathy for our customers and partners. The Corporate Strategy Lead will regularly collaborate with executive leadership, finance, product, and all of our go-to-market (GTM) functions to help the organization execute on its mission and operating goals.
The ideal candidate will have experience in or across the following areas: corporate strategy/strategic planning, finance, business development, corporate development, and/or SaaS GTM in a high growth tech company. Experience in or exposure to life sciences is preferred.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Conduct primary qualitative and quantitative market research to build an understanding of end markets, including market sizing (TAM), competitive landscape, and value chain/ecosystem
- Build defensible business cases for market prioritization and sequencing, helping the executive leadership team make long-term product investment decisions
- Consolidate and maintain multi-year strategic plans across prioritized new markets, folding into the overall long range planning activities
- Create and maintain frameworks for customer prioritization, answering the “who” and “when” to pursue as it relates to our markets and products
- Formulate initial hypotheses on build vs. buy vs. partner for new markets to be tested while working alongside market leads
- Support business development and corporate development activities, including authoring of partnership roadmaps, conducting initial outreach to prospective companies, and advocating for specific deals in support of market priorities
- 7-10+ years of combined experience working in/across strategy, management consulting, investment banking, venture capital or private equity, business development, and/or corporate development
- Possess a product-centric view of problem solving and an understanding of commercialization/go-to-market in software companies (GTM)
- Deep curiosity about life sciences, our customers, and our markets
- Express generative and creative thinking
- Think in frameworks and first principles; comfortable explaining the “why” behind your thinking
- Communicate clearly across all mediums, especially written
- High degree of organization and attention to detail
- Prioritize well and move easily between long-term projects and short-term activity sprints
- Invest in building reusable processes and work products