Alliant Energy is currently seeking a talented and experienced Strategic Tax Manager to work in the Tax Department in Madison, Wisconsin. In this critical role you will be responsible for providing strategic tax leadership in the areas of tax planning, effective corporate restructuring, evaluation of purchases and divestitures, evaluation of accounting guidance related to tax issues and implementation of accounting standards related to tax and Federal and State audit coordination. Additionally, this position will also assist in an analytical role in advancing our corporate strategic initiatives; working extensively on strategic and complex opportunities in the utility tax marketplace
- In coordination with the Director of Tax, assists in the development of appropriate strategic tax planning initiatives and recommendations in an effort to place the company in the most effective and efficient tax paying posture based upon established rules, regulations, risk guidelines and business requirements.
- Plays a key role in developing and maintaining the company’s taxrisk mitigation summary identifying areas of risk and assigning risk criteria ratings to each risk.
- Responsible for working closely with business units and legal entities to assist them in determining how they can manage their businesses in the most tax-advantageous manner. Serves as a liaison to business units ensuring complete and accurate flow of tax information.
- Assists in preparing and reviewing tax disclosures and footnotes for SEC filings to ensure they meet all regulatory guidelines and prepares forecasts of tax information for budgets, outlooks and long term forecasts and planning to control tax liabilities.
- Researches and documents potential or current tax positions including technical tax, tax compliance and accounting issues and clearly presents this information to business units, tax personnel, or external financialauditors as needed.
- Responsible for the completion of special strategic tax-related projects and leads the coordination of activities of others related to special strategic tax projects which may include projects such as structuring and restructuring and divestitures.
- Responsible for keeping current with tax-related accounting pronouncement and literature and new tax laws, regulations and positions taken by major taxing authorities to determine their effect on the company. Responsible for development and implementation of corporate tax policies.
- Ensures that the Company continues to remain compliant with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act Section 404 from a tax perspective. This will involve reviewing processes on a periodic basis as well as updatingprocesses for changes in procedure.
- Performs all management duties including, but not limited to, budgeting, hiring, performance reviews, coordinating and scheduling work, salary recommendations, discipline, ensure employees report to work fit for duty, leadership, grievance resolution, coaching & counseling, models Alliant Energy’s Core Values at all times.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements
- This position requires a bachelor's degree in accounting or related area and 10 years of technical and progressively responsibletaxexperience.
- 5 years of supervisory experience is required.
- An active domestic Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification is required.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Experience with a Big 4 accounting is preferred
- Master's degree in Tax or Law is preferred
- A Juris Doctor degree is preferred