Position Scope/Decision Making Authority:
Manages alliances, agreements and contracts for strategically sourced Raw Materials products and services (e.g. Liquid Asphalt, Fly Ash, Portland Cement, Lime and Slag, Asphalt Emulsions, Flux Oil, Rubber, Ad Mixtures ) at the Company level.
Develops policies, procedures, and objectives for the operation of the procurement program in accordance with organization objectives.
Assures new developments relative to procurement are investigated and makes recommendations that meet the objectives of the organization. Works closely with Operations Personnel to get inputs into sourcing strategies and decisions. Coordinates with Division resources to manage strategic sourcing activities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development and implementation of enterprise-wide sourcing activities; assist business units in developing and implementing a strategy for procurement activities.
- Lead and facilitate procurement team efforts, which includes development, coordination, and continuous evaluation of current suppliers and procurement agreements. Pursue additional national agreements, when appropriate.
- Prepare for and execute negotiations with suppliers that deliver cost savings results.
- Assure compliance with procurement agreements by VMC and selected suppliers and manage the supplier base performance in accordance with VMC standards.
- Responsible for contract integrity; assures that supplier information (price, terms, contract condition) is accurately documented.
- Supports the principles of the company’s performance improvement management and management development programs to ensure effective use of department personnel in the attainment of department and company goals.
Education, Experience, Skills Required:
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in field required; Advanced degree desirable.
5-7 years experience in procurement leadership position(s). Strong knowledge of procurement practices is required. Strong knowledge of aggregate, asphalt and ready mix operations and maintenance experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of assigned Raw Materials product categories (e. g. Liquid Asphalt, Fly Ash, Portland Cement, Lime and Slag, Asphalt Emulsions, Flux Oil, Rubber, Ad Mixtures)
- Respected by Operations Leaders -- demonstrates a collaborative working style, with the ability to develop relationships with internal customers while also driving continuous improvement with operating partners
- Negotiating skills, including the ability to communicate with multiple levels internal and external to the organization
- Clearly communicates a vision for the future state and sets stretch goals for self and team
- Strong communicator; understands and clearly communicates larger sense of purpose and mission to team
- Coach, motivator and people developer
- Balances collaborative decision-making with a strong sense of conviction
- Ability to lead through collaboration and influence
- Balances confidence with humility, maintains high levels of self-awareness
- Models the “Vulcan Leadership Model”
- Champions and drives team success while maintaining enterprise-level perspective
- Diligent in responsibilities, balances rigor with conscientiousness
- Enjoys developing talent, takes pride in coaching and providing developmental opportunities to high potential employees
- Customer oriented: open to and willing to act upon feedback