Sonder is revolutionizing hospitality through innovative, tech-powered service and inspiring, thoughtfully designed accommodations combined into one seamlessly managed experience. Officially launched in 2014, Sonder is making a world of better stays open to all with a variety of accommodation options — from rooms to suites and apartments — found in 40+ cities spanning 10 countries and three continents. Sonder’s innovative app empowers guests by making self-service features and 24/7 on-the-ground support just a tap away. From simple self check-in to boutique bathroom amenities, we bring the best of a hotel without any of the formality.
Sonder’s growing Strategic and Direct Sourcing function is looking for a leader who will set the sourcing vision for a newly created team. Your role will help our Engineering, IT, Revenue, Legal on the corporate side as well as Supply Chain, Operations, and other departments on the Direct side, optimize spend and drive a Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). This role is part management and coaching for team members to drive best in classanagement and negotiating tactics, while also providing hands-on support to lead complex, bigger negotiations. The ideal candidate thrives in ambiguity, and should be willing to put in the hard work to build new processes and systems. As a Strategic and Direct Sourcing Manager, you will own both the renewal and nefor SaaS/technology negotiations and also drive vendor relationships, cost negotiations, and quality control for all our direct purchases, for example, consumables (day to day goods), linens and terries and other product categories.
AT SONDER YOU WILL:
STRATEGIC SOURCING DEPARTMENT
- Lead the Strategic Sourcing team composed of one analyst, with a potential to add more resources as the business grows.
- Oversee Sonder’s software budget in partnership with FP&A.
- Achieve year-over-year improvements in Strategic Sourcing spend, focusing on quality and service.
- Own and manage the sourcing anrocess on all technology and professional services spend, by assisting in drafting completement of work (SOWs), Request for Proposals (RFPs) and negotiating and evaluating the same.
- Work with Legal to write strong with SLA and business terms that are best in class and favorable to Sonder
- Lead discussions with cross functional business partners in drafting detailed business requirements and understanding of their needs to facilitate the RFP/RFQ/ RFIs and vendor evaluation process.
- Be accountable for keeping the Ironclad repository (Sonder’s Contract Lifecycle Management platform) updated with the latest information and metadata across a in scope.
- Build project plans, timelines and workflows to ensure key milestones are being captured and met as it relates to the sourcing process.
- Ensure active workload balancing, prioritization, execution, and KPI management of the team for effectiveness and efficiency improvements.
- Work wrs to create functional road maps for driving in ngs per quarter.
- Facilitate quick decision making with Procurement Leadership and the Senior Leadership Team by consolidating the data and presenting it in a concise manner.
DIRECT SOURCING DEPARTMENT
- Lead the Direct Sourcing department.
- Work with cross-functional teams to identify potential new product needs as a result of new market opportunities or projects.
- Work closely with our merchandising and interior design teams on:
- Identifying opportunities for improving design quality and cost;
- Quality improvements on existing products;
- Close working partnership with merchandising, interior design, inventory management and logistics/fulfillment.
- Troubleshoot product issues related to production and/or delivery delays.
- Manage sourcing processes and procedures in the assigned categories to successfully execute and deliver products on time, on budget, and at a high level of design and quality. This should include the following:
- Comparative Studies - Products, costs and risk;
- Cost negotiations based on parameters from merchandising;
- Production exception tracking and reporting;
- Monitor vendor performance & provide feedback to suppliers on their performance.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR:
- Bachelor degree in relevant field.
- Minimum 8 years of Procurement and Sourcing experience related to technology procurement and direct spend with people management experience focusing on building, coaching and mentoring teams.
- Strong negotiation skills with experience working with and managing/optimizing AWS, Snowflake, Salesforce, Datadog, and other engineering/ SaaS technologies.
- Ability to drive a total cost of ownership mindset and implement cost savings initiatives by digging deep into strategic, data, and analyzing spend patterns.
- Experienced management professional who has worked with Legal and cross-functional business partners for “redlining” vendond managing it from initiation to final signatures.
- Category Management experience working with Added-Value Resellers (VAR), Hardware, SaaS and/or Professional Service/Contingent Labor vendors.
- Strong project management experience in dealing and managing multiple competing priorities.
- Excellent communication skills, including oral, written, and interpersonal. Experience interfacing with senior-level stakeholders.
Take note that a candidate with both Direct Sourcing and Strategic Sourcing experience is preferred but not required.
We also have great benefits to make your life easier so you can focus on what you’re best at:
- Competitive compensation
- Generous stock plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance (where applicable)
- Flexible vacation
- Annual free credits and discounts to stay in Sonders
- A company with a huge vision, a dynamic work environment, and a team of smart, ambitious and fun to work-with colleagues!
- Workplace flexibility (for remote-specified positions only) #ABetterWaytoWork
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status or other protected classes.