At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. We’re focused on the potential of science to address the unmet needs of patients around the world. We commit to those areas where we think we can really change the course of medicine and bring big new ideas to life.
As a Strategic Planning Manager/ Leader in Wilmington, DE, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
North American Commercial is the ‘face’ of AstraZeneca and MedImmune to our many healthcare clients. They represent many of the most well recognized and respected products in the industry, and build strong relationships with healthcare professionals.
The Strategic Sales Planning Manager / Leader (SSPM/L) owns and drives (for one or more Therapeutics Areas) the successful planning, design, leadership decisions, development, delivery and communication of field force Size and Structure, Targeting and Alignment events.
This role requires a high performing, proactive visible leader. In exchange for a fast paced and demanding work environment, the role provides a high degree of leadership exposure and ability to influence critical resource allocation decisions.
The SSPM/L will collaborate with and act as a true consultant to a broad range of cross functional leaders including TA Marketing, Field Sales Leadership, Field Sales PSSs, Insights and Analytics, IT, HR, Compliance, Legal and among others.
This individual will also engage with key Sales Force Operations (SFO) subject matter experts to understand key processes (Incentive Comp, Reporting, Tools and Capabilities, etc.) across all commercial channels and champion / pull through departmental objectives. The SSPM/L will partner with key vendor partners to ensure these deployments go live on time and are of high quality.
Learn and drive informed personal channel resource allocation decisions with TA leadership. Example: provide scenarios to inform how many calls Brand A should receive vs Brand B using strategic, financial and operational evaluation criteria.
Drive successful development and on time delivery of national call plans pulling thru size and structure decisions and ensuring strong understanding of stakeholder needs.
Lead Alignment & Targeting change events by cataloging process dependencies and ensuring synchronization to meet rollout deadlines
Collaborate with Sales Force Operations (SFO) peers and subject matter experts to synchronize changes between therapeutic areas and commercial channels
Partner with / educate Sales Leaders to ensure deployment are optimized and processes are efficiently executed
Prepare and help deliver Field Sales communications to ensure pull through of Targeting strategy. This requires an ability to ‘make the complex simple’
Manage key compliance / legal requirements by monitoring customer blocks entries to synchronize with critical Targeting / Alignment / Incentive Compensation (IC) and Rewards data gathering milestones
Liaise with HR Field Partners and Sales Support Coordinator regarding resource moves
Anticipate system and process constraints by monitoring multiple compounding or conflicting requests from Brand, Sales, and/or other Commercial sources
Manage analytics to support efficient operations, process assurance, and trend analysis
Ensure consistency with Commercial Strategies by monitoring changes to Field Sales Targeting, Alignment business rules and compliance requirements
Coordinate across SFO resources to determine root cause of Targeting/ Alignment issues and identify resolution
Partner with IS/IT and SFO departments to rollout cross channel changes within internal systems, e.g. Veeva CRM, CustHub
Develop and administer Targeting and Alignment training materials to functional area and Field Sales audiences
Develop and manage associated budgets in compliance with AZ finance and accounting requirements
Perform all company business in accordance with regulations and company policies and procedures
Key Relationships to reach solutions
Internal (to AZ or team): Brand Teams, HR, Legal, Compliance, Field Sales, Field Sales Leadership, other HQ Partners, IS/IT, Finance
External (to AZ): Agencies and other Commercial Vendors, Key customers (as requested)
- 4+ years of Field Sales or Commercial Operations experience in either Size and Structure, Analytics or Sales Force Effectiveness
- Experience in project management, communication, planning and organizational skills
- Independent contributor with proven ability to lead and influence without direct authority up to the Executive Director level
- Strong computer, business acumen, business judgment and problem solving skills
- Ability to break down problems into analytical tasks that result in true business insight
- Ability to synthesize and integrate the varied sources of insight required to deliver Targeting and Alignment Solutions to the Sales Force
- Understanding of the pharmaceutical sales environment
- MBA or advanced degree in relevant field
- Strong emotional and organizational intelligence
- Careful attention to detail and strong customer focus
- Ability to multitask across multiple project deliverables
- Results oriented with excellent leadership, business acumen, communication, both verbal and written, and collaboration skills
- Demonstrate strong visible leadership skills and proactively solution
- Ability to work independently and experience developing and executing strategy
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a highly dynamic environment
- Experience in project managing vendor relationships
- Experience in presentation and facilitation
- Experience with brand team or field sales teams
- Experience with utilizing various commercial sales and marketing software packages
- Experience with IMS data is a plus.