HDR has an excellent opportunity to join our team in the role Water Business Group (WBG) Strategic Pursuits Leader (SPL). In this role you would report to the WBG Global Client Development Director, and are ultimately responsible for implementing overall strategies that facilitate winning top line pursuits and implementing the WBG strategic vision. You are a very strategic-minded individual with the ability to create strong partnerships with our top technical, marketing and operational leadership to position HDR for success. This is an opportunity to make a significant, high-value impact related to our client and business development strategy and agenda.
This role will be based in one of HDR's continental US offices and will require regular out of town business travel.
- Support the tactical implementation of the WBG Strategic Plan by advancing our top line pursuits in close partnership with regional, market sector, alternative delivery and professional services leadership
- Work collaboratively with client development and market sector leaders to identify, prioritize, and successfully capture top line pursuits
- Establish and manage pursuit budgets for cumulative pursuits.
- Provide leadership and overall management of proposal efforts for strategic pursuits; translate business development, win strategy concepts and client insights into a coherent proposal strategy and tactical pursuit plan.
- Work collaboratively with pursuit leadership teams to drive proposal efforts through storyboarding and message development; prepare non-technical proposal elements, edit and proofread documents with accountability for overall proposal quality.
- Plan and facilitate strategic pursuit technical workshops and interviews
- Work with the national Creative Services Team to develop pursuit-specific marketing materials
- Lead multiple concurrent proposal teams including assembling the pursuit team, leading and facilitating win strategy meetings, directing follow up actions, and producing final submittals
- Coach teams for interviews and presentations, both for team dynamics and individual presentation skills development
- Participate in client debriefs for proposals won and lost
- Train, mentor and develop capacity to execute large pursuits with local staff.
- Direct interaction and relationship development with clients, in support of identifying and securing major campaign pursuits
- Attend industry conferences to develop and nurture client relationships
- Employ and improve HDR’s marketing-related tools and resources
- Work with the WBG Marketing Services team to manage staff and resource workload to optimize staff utilization
- Monitor proposal win rates to guide process improvement initiatives
- Ensure quality, budget, and schedule performance of pursuit efforts
- Bachelor’s degree
- 15+ years of experience in the consulting industry with a focus on business development leadership
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading large pursuit teams
- Proven history of winning large, complex projects in the areas of water, wastewater and/or water resources.
- Proven success in North America water markets, with strong consideration for experience in the western/southwestern US
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven history of working cooperatively with diverse teams on proposals and presentations, including technical and marketing staff
- Ability to travel as required
- Committed to quality, improvement, our employee-ownership model and HDR values.