Viking Corporation is a leader in fire suppression systems and has 32 site locations across the US. Viking is a global, growing company that has been in business for almost 100 years! Viking Group is currently seeking a Staffing Coordinator for our Hastings, MI location (relocating to our new Corporate office in Caledonia, MI in the summer of 2019!). This brand new facility will have state of the art equipment and a new training facility. For an informational video, please click the link below!
The Buyer position is responsible for managing of a group of designated supplier accounts, based on product type or commodity. The key function is to support the Purchasing Department's organizational and operational objectives. This includes selection and evaluation of new suppliers, creating and managing sourcing strategies, obtaining and analyzing quotes, managing supplier on-time delivery and product quality, and managing & supporting the new product development launch process.
- Research, evaluate, audit, and recommend new suppliers based on their ability to provide value in the form of products or services that are strategically suited to the current and future needs of the Viking Corporation.
- Request, obtain, and analyze quotes from qualified suppliers that meet the product design requirements.
- Coordinate with Viking R&D Dept and Quality Dept to ensure suppliers meet the necessary design and quality requirements.
- Negotiate costs, terms, etc. to meet overall cost targets.
- Manage on-time supplier delivery performance.
- Implement necessary corrective actions based on performance issues.
- Manage total landed cost for responsible product types or commodities (includes raw material cost, supplier process cost, inventory cost, freight cost, etc.)
- Monitor raw material cost trends to support cost negotiations with suppliers.
- Work with suppliers to implement kaizen projects to reduce costs. Examples - establishing consignment inventory programs, developing kanban programs, blanket orders with multiple releases to gain more inventory turns, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain Management plus three years purchasing/buying experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment; or equivalent.
- Up to 25% travel for supplier evaluations and audits.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with both suppliers and internal departments.
- Global sourcing experience.
- Ability to work independently and complete projects to achieve goals.
- Ability to lead internal teams to implement change to reduce costs.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Prefer experience using ERP / MRP system.
- Prefer experience buying brass castings, ductile iron castings, screw machined parts, steel stampings.