Strategic Account Director
15+ years experience • Agriculture & Natural Resources
Strategic Account Director
Compass Minerals Plant Nutrition Division services diverse growing areas to more than 200 different high value cash crops ideally suited for the application of our product portfolio. By working closely with the Compass Minerals Plant Nutrition Sales and Marketing team through creative, tactic approach and collaboration, this position will support the implementation of our product growth strategies across North America.
The incumbent will be responsible for understanding the market development and field activity needs of our select dealer partners and grower customers as this will be critical to our growth plans. This will include interaction with our key accounts, growers in select geographies and crops, and facilitating the delivery of our message. The position will also work to track and record launching and growing products with key accounts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: (The duties and responsibilities may be modified depending on the needs of the Plant Nutrition team and the interest, capability, and aspirations of the successful candidate at any time.)
- Grow the Plant Nutrition division business by establishing and maintaining high level relationships with key accounts; owning our portfolio relationships at the headquarters level.
- Develop sales strategy and timelines to meet the initiative objectives.
- Develop standards and metrics to measure launching and growing of products with key accounts.
- Ensure overall P&L management including achievement of margin, volume, revenue, and expense targets.
- Responsible for sales excellence with respect to growing, acquiring, retaining and defending sales.
- Lead training efforts as needed and provide coaching and resources and personnel performance reviews to develop high performing individuals and a high-performing team.
- Work effectively with peers and colleagues in Sales & Marketing, Product Management and Strategy, and R&D.
- Collaborate with product management and marketing to ensure product portfolio, programs and campaigns are effective.
- Will work with Area Business Managers and Territory Sales Managers on strategic activities with key affiliated signers and on strategic activities with Regional and Divisional offices.
- Responsible for sales and commercial strategy with Key Accounts across Compass Minerals portfolio.
- Attune to potential research and commercial collaborations to maximize the Compass Minerals product portfolio.
- Develops relationships at the operational, procurement and executive levels within targeted Key Accounts.
- Senior member of the Plant Nutrition leadership team responsible for Business Unit team strategy and delivering results.
- Provides competitive intelligence to the Plant Nutrition marketing team.
Qualifications: Position requires strong project / program leadership through influence, business intelligence and agriculture knowledge.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors in Management, Marketing, Business, Agriculture or related field required, MBA preferred.
- Fifteen plus years progressive experience in business development and sales including relevant experience in plant nutrition required.
- Significant experience selecting, developing and managing distributor or broker partners.
- Proven market development across markets.
- General management or cross-functional team leadership experience.
- Experience with regulatory matters in a related category.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Additional market relevant language skills preferred.