Department:VA-Virginia BeachLocation:Virginia Beach, VA
START YOUR APPLICATION
VHB’s growing Virginia Beach, VA team is looking for a Stormwater Engineer to join our Environmental Group.
VHB’s exciting opportunity for a Stormwater Engineer working on site plan design for land development projects and will collaborate with water resources, environmental sciences, and landscape architecture staff. The Stormwater Engineer willsupport senior management staff on all facets of stormwater management, including hydrology and hydraulics (H&H) related design and compliance projects. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable of civil engineering design standards and their application to various projects including all areas of engineering and construction, surveying, etc.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- Performs hydrologic analysis and design and stormwater quantity and quality modeling using geographic information systems programs and products and Computer Aided Design (CAD) to accomplish modeling assignments
- Assist in obtaining drainage data on watersheds and drainage systems
- Assist with Master Drainage Studies and watershed models
- Disseminate data from the models and coordinate with other City departments to obtain and receive data.
- Analyze impacts of Sea Level Rise and Recurrent Flooding
- Working w/multi-disciplinary projects with hydrologic, hydraulic, or water quality focus including interaction with staff and clients
- Working within a team of professionals in developing site civil engineering plans, calculations, reports, and specifications for a multitude of stormwater/water resources projects
- Conducting a wide array of water resources related studies and analysis
- Perform calculations, preparation of plans and specifications, process study, research investigations, report preparation, and other activities of limited scope requiring knowledge of principles and techniques for a variety of projects with a focus on flood mitigation and protection, urban drainage designs, streambed protection, urban stormwater management, water quality modeling, regulatory compliance, low impact development (LID) design, and green infrastructure
- Research building codes, federal, state, and local codes, laws, and requirements, as well as, client requirements and ensures assignments meet these codes and other requirements
- Determine the permitting requirements for the particular type of work being designed for the location in which it is to be constructed
- Assist in determining schedule and budget requirements
- Interact directly with the client to gather information and discuss project requirements
- Participate in limited marketing efforts and business development
- Train engineering software to junior staff
Skills and Abilities:
- Hydrologic analysis and design
- Stormwater quantity and quality modeling, soil analysis, geographic information systems, Storm Drainage master plans and inspections;
- ESRI Products
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Writing technical reports; environmental engineering
- Knowledge of local and state ordinances as they relate to construction and land development, and various design standards including site plan, subdivision, zoning, erosion control and floodplain ordinances
- Detailed knowledge of the Virginia Stormwater Management Program and its procedures and requirements
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think critically
- Strong computer skills
- Excel in working in a team environment
- BS in civil/environmental engineering or related discipline, MS preferred
- 5-7 years of water resources engineering and analysis experience
- Project management of relevant projects
- Experience with ArcGIS and AutoCAD
- PE preferred
- We regret that we are unable to provide sponsorship for employment visas at this time
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for 38 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.