The Store Design Associate Manager will lead a team of Store Designers to increase the profitability of PETCO’s in-store experience, presentation and merchandising program by managing the development of a consumer friendly, cost effective retail prototype and positioning the company as a leader in the retail industry. Create analytical processes and supporting documentation necessary to evaluate and drive Store Design functions and provide direction for the continued development of department procedures associated with new store, remodel and acquisition store projects.
Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Floor Plan Development:
- Strategizes, plans, and executes the design of unique floor plans for New Stores, Remodels & Retrofits. Responsible for pre-approval of all Store Plans prior to submission to Manager and Director of Store Planning & Design, and VP of VMSD, to ensure quality, accuracy and adherence to Company Standards.
- Implements prototype concepts and works with Space Optimization and Customer Research teams to measure results. Champions recommendations with the Executive team to receive Prototype approval.
- Leverages financial, customer, and employee insights to execute prototype requirements.
- Owns project scope with extreme coordination across the organization including senior leadership in VMSD, CMO, Real Estate, Construction, IT, and Loss Prevention.
- Supervises the production of assigned floor plans that meet PETCO’s prototype standards and merchandise category requirements for new, remodel and acquisition stores in accordance with schedule deadlines using AutoCad.
- Work with Space Optimization team to incorporate their store specific merchandise recommendations into the store design.
- Ensures store plans are in compliance with federal, state and local regulations (ADA, fire, basic construction codes, etc.).
- Analyze layouts for potential problems in store plans and develop recommendations for resolution.
- Supervises revisions to preliminary plans as necessary to get approval from internal stakeholders and distribute to architects/engineers and internal teams.
- Supervise the review of Construction Documents prepared by Architects (25%, 98%) to ensure they meet design intent. Coordinate any revisions and / or addendums.
- Work directly with Project Managers to understand site specific requirements and limitations. Be prepared to field any and all store specific questions.
- Perform store specific quantifications for fixtures and graphics.
- Maintain a current, accurate and up-to-date project file for both drawings and all correspondence.
- Provide operational expertise regarding design and cost / labor efficiencies to lower level associates on store design concepts and design projects to ensure profit margin goals are met
- Cross-Functional Collaboration:
- Collaborates with senior level leadership across the Space Planning, Floor Planning, Space Optimization, Visual, Construction, Merchandising, Store Operations, Services, and Loss Prevention teams to optimize department and category space development, as well as department adjacencies. Responsible to support Manager in the development of annual Capital plan recommendations, scoping projects with related cost/benefit analysis, and presenting and receiving final approval of all Store plans with the CMO Leadership team.
- Provide assistance and problem resolution to Operations Coordinators, Construction Project Managers and General Contractors to ensure accuracy of design and company standards.
- Partner with all positions in Store Design to support initiatives across the department as dictated by business needs.
- Attend and actively participate in meetings with store operations, merchandising, marketing, construction and real estate; helping to insure schedule/budgets are met.
- Decision Making:
- Using discretionary judgment, creativity, analytical and project management skills, to plan, develop and determine appropriate course of action for 4-7 direct reports.
- Partner with appropriate members of the space planning team to ensure a collaborative and consistent approach is taken towards the business strategies and/or imperatives.
- Lead the store planning group in making sound business decisions, both strategic and tactical in nature.
- Manage department budget, ensuring that department and project expenditures do not exceed budgetary goals.
- Other duties and responsibilities:
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Drive sales by ensuring that store fixture and merchandise plans are designed utilizing sales history to identify and analyze the trends of similar geographic and demographic profiles.
- Taking a leadership role, interface and coordinate with Merchandising, Construction, Industrial Buying, Inventory Management, Operations and vendors on all Store Design projects.
- Develop procedures, documentation and system enhancements to support all intra- and inter-departmental communication and processes related to Store Design.
- Drive the development of a database that supports FF&E components, department linear footage and building attributes.
- Travel to store locations as necessary.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
May direct and manage a staff comprised of 4 – 7 Store Designers. Responsibilities include:
- Recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, mentoring/coaching, providing functional guidance, assignment delegation and follow-through, and, partnering with Talent Acquisition and Human Resources, discipline up to and including termination.
- Other management tasks include, but are not limited to, providing input and direction on such topics as key goals and objectives; strategic and tactical planning, implementation and execution; budgetary issues; capital expenditures and associate management, training and development.
- Additionally, this position will lead a cross-functional team over which it does not have direct administrative authority.
- This position is expected to independently lead these teams through the successful development and execution of strategic plans and tactical imperatives to support the business plan for the assigned categories.
The majority of duties are performed while seated indoors at a computer, but some travel for field work and assisting in the creation of and managing new prototype designs and rollouts may be required. Occasional travel may be required for special projects or rollouts
Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Design or Architecture.
Solid understanding of store design principles and retail operations are necessary.
Minimum 5-10 years of experience in design related field.
1-3 years supervising direct reports is preferred, but not required.
Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft products including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, etc. is required.
The ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, exercise patience and diplomacy in all situations is necessary.