Storage Area Network ( SAN ) Engineer
Position Title: Storage Area Network (SAN) Engineer
Location: Columbia, SC
Duration: 12 Months
Contract Type: W2
Education / Equivalency:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, IS, or job-related degree
- OR 4 years of combined education and work experience
- OR extra 4 years job related experience
Candidate Technical Background:
- Storage Area Network (SAN) or related experience.
- Hands-on skills with IBM storage arrays and respective storage management systems. (Required)
- Hands-on skills AND experience with Cisco fabric switches. (Required)
- Experience in enterprise-class data centres is preferred. (Highly Desired)
Daily Job Responsibilities:
- Operational responsibilities for storage area network (SAN) storage arrays and switch fabric
- Provide technical leadership to team members
- Assist with capacity management
- Review performance metrics and make recommendations for improvement
- Perform maintenance activities
System(S) the Contractor Will Interact With/Be Responsible For:
- Storage arrays and storage management systems from EMC, Hitachi, and IBM. SAN fabric switches from Cisco with some Brocade.
Primary Working Relationship(s) Inside and Outside the Organization:
- Some customer interaction required (high-profile contracts/customers); some senior management (VP level) interaction required.
- Regular M-F work week; typical 45 hour weeks; occasional weekend work; rotating on-callresponsibilities
- SAN team is currently 3 team members, plus team lead and manager; Dept. also has additional staffing for VMware and WindowsTechnologies Total dept. size is 12.
- Administers use, capacity and performance of SAN systems. Focuses on multiple aspects of SAN operations across multiple platforms. Works with end users and vendors to resolve server issues.
- Upgrades and configures SAN devices from multiple vendors.
- Maintains effective relationships with customers to ensure appropriate levels of support. Schedules, plans, and performs system health checks across environments.
- Confers with users to resolve problems affecting server performance. Validates and adjusts server configuration as needed. Generates SAN utilization/trending/error reports as requested. Observes and controls the status and performance of all components of SAN/system facilities.
- Maintains control of SAN devices. Control access to, and authorization level of devices. Maintains effective security/backup and disaster recovery processes and systems. Performs data backups and disaster recovery operations as needed.
- Address vulnerabilities within audit-mandated time frames. Ensure server compliance with audit requirements. Participates in continuous review and remediation to ensure that processes meet changing business unit conditions.
- Creates and maintains process and procedure documentation. Provides feedback on commonly encountered problems and misunderstandings to enhance user documentation and/or training programs etc. Works with others to establish and improve processes and procedures.
- Updates knowledge and skills to keep up with rapid advancements in server administration technology.