Leads group underwriting function to achieve company group underwriting objectives Has authority to approve large customers and provides input on strategy and policy for the Stop Loss underwriting function.
- Implement group underwriting policies and procedures. Ensure compliance.
- Manage group underwriters to ensure consistency in the evaluation of risk for Stop Loss insurance product. Provides coaching and mentoring to team for the following:
- Analyze data such as financial condition of the client company, characteristics of employee groups, participation percentage, type of industry, or past claim experience to determine benefits and rates.
- Ensure proper pricing and appropriate funding methods.
- Coordinate underwriting activities on proposals, new cases, renewals, and amendments.
- Ensure that the company can administer the client’s proposed benefit plan design and funding method.
- Develop and maintain relationships with field personnel and clients by answering general questions and obtaining information on which to base decisions.
- Document and communicate decisions to necessary areas in the division. Review cases exceeding underwriter’s review level.
- Hire, train and develop staff to achieve group underwriting objectives. Provides regular feedback to underwriters and prepares and delivers performance appraisals.
- Develop and maintain department budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 10+ years underwriting experience including management/supervisory experience
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.