- Repairs and maintains pneumatic thermostat and controls.
- Installs boilers boilers, feedwater, vacuum and condensate equipment, fuel oil piping and related auxiliary equipment.
- Removes, repairs and reinstalls pumps.
- Stops and repairs leaks as they occur.
- May work with welding and brazing equipment.
- Maintains and replaces all system pipes and valves as needed.
- Completes reactive and preventative maintenance paperwork.
- Assists in emergencies as needed.
- Works according to the schedule prepared by the supervisor.
- Returns all work areas to a clean, neat, orderly and safe condition.
- Learns, understands and complies with fire, safety, and other emergency practices.
- Participates in training directed at increasing maintenance and other job-related skills.
- Performs related work as required.
- Five years of full-time satisfactory experience acquired within the last 15 years as a Steam Fitter; or
- Not less than least two and one-half years of such experience acquired within the last ten years plus sufficient full-time experience as a helper or apprentice to make up a total of five years of acceptable experience. Six months of experience will be credited for each year of apprenticeship or helper experience or for each year of completed approved trade or vocational school training in the steam fitting field.
For appointment to positions in certain agencies, a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York is required. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment.
Residency in New York City, Nassau, Orange, Rockland, Suffolk, Putnam or Westchester counties required for employees with over two years of city service. New York City residency required for all other candidates.