H&R Block (HRB) is seeking a highly motivated State & Local Tax Manager/Senior Manager to join our Corporate Tax team. This position is located at our world headquarters location in downtown Kansas City, Missouri and will report directly to the State & Local Tax Director. Compensation is negotiable, based on the experience and skills of each candidate.
Key responsibilities and tasks involve the following:
- Monitoring and analyzing legislative, judicial, and administrative developments to develop, evaluate, and/or document tax positions resulting therefrom.
- Analyzing tax implications of company operations, organizational structure changes, business transactions, mergers, and acquisitions.
- Managing examinations by state and local governmental authorities.
- Performing tax research and preparing technical memoranda on topics relevant to HRB?s domestic and international tax profiles.
- Participating in the tax compliance and reporting function through conducting secondary reviews of certain complex state income tax returns, as well as conducting primary reviews and analyses of data and tax returns addressing topics such as nexus, tax base, apportionment, credits, and negotiated incentives.
- Supporting State & Local Tax Director with initiatives and transactions involving other departments, including Legal, Treasury, Accounting, Government Relations, Regulatory Affairs, and other key decision makers.
Other responsibilities and tasks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing management support to teams responsible for sales, use, property, and transaction taxes.
- Managing risk in accordance with ASC 740 and ASC 450.
- Managing, developing, training, and mentoring staff while assessing performance and providing timely feedback.
An interested applicant must be a self-starter who is able to work independently and interact with all members of management,
external advisors, and external auditors. In addition, an interested applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Holds a Bachelor?s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field (or meets one of the preferrededucational qualifications).
- Has at least 5years of experience in the field of taxation.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a dynamic environment.
- Exhibits excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Performs advanced research, technical, and analytical tasks efficiently.
- Understands income and non-income tax theory and tax policy trends.
- Willing to learnHRB?s operations and provide recommendations that add value to the organization.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, candidates meeting the preferredqualifications will strongly be considered for the role:
- CPA certification, Master?s Degree in Taxation, and/or Juris Doctor Degree.
- Law firm, large ?Big 4?CPA firm, or large multinational industry experience in the field of state taxation with a sound understanding of state tax theory.
- Fundamental understanding of GAAP, ASC 740 and ASC 450 as applied to a public company.
- Experience in the service and/or retail industries.