State & Local Tax – Income & Franchise Tax Manager
Grant Thornton’s responsive, partner-led Tax service teams help dynamic companies navigate complexity and grow with insightful, practical tax advice. In addition to tax professionals across the United States, our Washington National Tax Office provides deep technical knowledge and responsive support in local, state, federal and international tax. Our tax services include: compliance, human capital services, federal tax services, international tax services, state and local tax services, private wealth services, tax reporting and advisory, partnership taxation, not-for-profit tax, and mergers & acquisition tax services.
The Tax Manager in the State and Local Tax – Income & Franchise group is responsible for the delivery of a full range of tax services for multiple clients in a wide variety of industries. Responsibilities include interacting closely with clients to provide innovative tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise; providing primary and secondary review of complex tax returns; developing and managing staff; and working closely with partners and staff on client management, practice development, and business development activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage, direct, and monitor multiple client services teams on client engagements; plan, execute, direct, and complete tax projects in a wide variety of industries; provide tax planning, consulting, and compliance expertise to clients; and manage to budget.
- Manage, develop, train, and mentor staff on tax projects and assess performance for engagement and year-end reviews.
- Deliver a full range of State and Local Tax services including tax return preparation and review, tax research, preparation of technical memorandums, drafting client correspondence, and counseling client in defending against state audits.
- Conduct primary and secondary review of complicated State and Local tax returns.
- Manage multi-disciplinary, multi-state reviews that analyze income, franchise, sales and use, payroll, valorem taxes, and others to identify optimal filing options, exemptions, credits and incentives, and corporate structures that can reduce the client's tax burden.
- Consult, work with, and service client to make recommendations on business and process improvement and serve as a business adviser to client.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- CPA or JD/active law license.
- Five to seven years of progressive State and Local Tax consulting and/or compliance experience in public accounting or a combination of corporate and public accounting experience.
- State Income/Franchise Tax experience mandatory, and must be eager to work on a variety of SALT issues.
- Excellent analytical, technical, and tax accounting/technology skills with proficiency in US GAAP, tax compliance, corporate consolidated returns, and combined state tax returns.
- Strong leadership, business development, recruiting, training, coaching, and mentoring skills, coupled with excellent written, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Computer expertise including knowledge of tax software and technology.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Masters in Taxation, LLM in Taxation, or JD a plus.
- Ability to work additional hours as needed and travel to various client sites.