Save the Children is seeking a dynamic State Director to lead and grow our programmatic and advocacy work in California and Washington State. They will provide overall leadership and representation of the organization as the senior staff member within the states while overseeing a high performing team. The State Director will work seamlessly with Save the Children HQ staff to develop and implement a long term strategic plan for our work in California and Washington. They will oversee program operations within the states, establish and strengthen strategic partnerships, align programmatic strategy and growth, secure additional funding, and drive our state level policy and advocacy agenda.
What You'll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
Leadership and Representation: 25%
• Lead State-level programs, operations, advocacy, fundraising, marketing and communication
• Establish and maintain relationships with State officials, donors and partners
• Establish and maintain strategic partnerships to scale the impact of our work and promote long-term sustainability
• Increase the visibility of Save the Children's work in CA and WA – represent Save the Children to opinion leaders and high level officials
• Host site visits for donors/VIPs
• Serve as a spokesperson with media and at state events
• Supervise CA and WA state based staff
Program Strategy and Implementation: 20%
• Coordinate with National team to develop and execute long-term program strategies, focused on increasing reach and diversifying stable funding
• Work with partners including the Save the Children Action Network to advance Save the Children's Policy and Advocacy goals in CA and WA
• Partner with National Education, Early Childhood and Child Protection teams to ensure programs meet quality standards and expected results
Operational Excellence: 25%
• Lead development and management of state-level annual budget and plan
• Oversee/implement all sources of funding to ensure donor compliance and efficient use of resources
• Build and maintain a high performing team – participate in the development of organizational design and staffing plan; lead recruitment efforts for state-based staff; work closely with HR and team to lead recruitment efforts for frontline direct program implementation staff; promote staff learning and development goals
• Work closely with child protection and direct implementation teams to mitigate child safeguarding risks in our programs
• Work with national Gift In Kind (GIK) colleagues to increase the receipt and use of GIK resources (books, shoes, athletic equipment, etc..) within CA and WA.
Partnership Development and Management: 20%
• Ensure effective management of sub-grants
• Establish State-level, county-level and local level, partnership strategy and relationships, including with key stakeholders, funders, and programs partners.
• Maintain and grow relationships critical to the expansion of STC's direct implementation portfolio of ASES funded work in CA (state department of education, local school system leaders, etc…)
• Develop and maintain strong internal relationships with national level staff and other departments ensuring strong collaboration with CA and WA programs
Public and Private Fundraising: 10%
• Identify competitive grants and partnering opportunities locally in partnership with National fundraising teams
• Identify and implement CA and WA focused private funding strategy and pipeline at state level in partnership with fundraising and advocacy colleagues
• Raise incremental funds from local corporations, foundations and individuals; secure Gifts-in-Kind in partnership with fundraising colleagues
• Minimum 7-10 years in non profit or similar work focused education, early childhood, out of school time learning, or related field.
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience required.
• Strong leadership and managerial skills
• Experience directing a large and complex grant portfolio
• Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues across levels and locations
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Entrepreneurial approach for growing state-level presence and programs
• Ability to travel regionally and nationally approximately 25% of the time.
o Must possess a valid driver's license and ability to operate own vehicle for trips within state
• Established track record of donor relationships within CA and/or WA
• Extensive knowledge and experience working with child-focused organizations in CA and/or WA e.g. Department of Education, First Five, Local Schools, etc..
• Strong network and relationship among funders, partners and policy makers
• Comfort working with high-level donors, board members, legislators and other VIP
What's In It for You
• Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
• Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
• Vision Insurance
• Life insurance
• Employee Assistance Program
• Commuter Benefit Program
• Vacation and Sick leave
• Paid holidays
What makes us special!
• Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
• Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
• Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
• Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
• Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
• Summer Fun Fridays – During the summer months, early release at 1:30 pm every other Friday!
• Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
• Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
• Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
• Language learning opportunities
• Continuous Improvement skill development programs
• Brown Bag information sharing sessions