The EUV Source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative, and challenging environment to deliver new-to-industry products supporting the commercialization of EUV technology by ASML. The Performance Integration Team is an inter-disciplinary group responsible for securing performance of EUV light source products at system level. The complexity of the EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on System Performance Engineer, who will be engaged in operation of the source, defining and providing solutions to systematically drive the performance of existing and future EUV source products.
Typical responsibilities for this role include defining and validating requirements, identifying areas of technical improvement required to meet the development roadmap, experimenting and performing troubleshooting of the system level performance issues, and supporting the teams at customer sites to ensure the highest performance and availability of EUV sources for the customers.
The role requires a willingness to develop a mastery of complex experimentation of significant technical depth. To be successful, the candidate must combine strong numerical analysis skills, using Matlab and Python to process large sets of data, with hand-on lab skills such as operating optical and electrical metrology instruments. In addition, to be effective in the role candidates must possess interpersonal skills to cross functional boundaries and to build constructive and effective relationships across the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve a seasoned professional in System Level performance related to laser light generation and amplification, laser-plasma interaction, debris mitigation, and controls. Be willing to apply theoretical models, concepts, methods, and novel experimental techniques to quantitatively interpret performance of EUV source systems across a wide range of issues and multiple technical disciplines.
- Directly evaluate complex hardware and software prototype designs using sophisticated experimental protocols, to validate, maximize, document and communicate the performance of EUV source products.
- Work closely with and lead cross-functional groups (systems engineering, development engineering, scientists, global customer support personnel, manufacturing personnel, senior management, marketing, external customers) to set clear technical direction.
- Work with global customer support organization in response to escalations from customer sites, by providing technical support; including remote and on-site troubleshooting and data analysis, developing action plans, and performing system recovery actions.
- Prepare and/or review system and sub-system functional test plans and create traceability from system functional requirements.
- Utilize test data to assess performance capabilities and assist in the documentation of procedures and the validation of system, operations and service.
- Use company technical documentation, provide feedback for improvement, and assist in creating technical documents.
- Provide feedback to the design engineers on performance, serviceability, and reliability improvements.
- Produce clear, concise documentation in defined company formats.
- Use sophisticated computer programs and diagnostic equipment to test and characterize source performance.
- Collect and analyze data, summarize results, and prepare presentation of results for review.
- Travel as required for the purposes of performing troubleshooting and system performance recovery.
- Provide technical training to engineers in the factory and at customer sites.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of the concept of large complex system integration and practices
- Understanding of the concepts of optics and lasers, plasma generation, and control systems
- Excellent analytical skills and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent inter-personal and customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in use of data analysis tools such as Matlab and/or Python
- Ability to setup and use the test and analytical equipment commonly used for the optics, laser and plasma research
- Ability to translate the design and test requirements into comprehensive test plan documents and procedures
- Ability to reduce large amounts of data, create a concise summary, and effectively report results through written and/or graphical formats
- Ability to translate the knowledge and hand-on experiences into technical instructions and procedures
- Ability to define and execute tasks based on project descriptions with minimum or no supervision
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate small technical teams without formal authority and irrespective of technical uncertainties.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- PhD in Engineering or Physics with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience; or Master’s with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience of an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Knowledge and experiences in optics, laser-induced plasma, and/or optical metrology highly desired.
- Experiences in semiconductor equipment development a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Will require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- Travel to overseas and domestic customer sites for > 30 % of time may be required.
- May be required to climb or balance.
- Work schedule may vary and include evenings and weekends as well as long hours based on business needs.
- May be assigned an “on call” type work schedule and may be required to respond to customers with little or no advance notice.