We build platform components with cutting edge technology like Scala, Java, Snowflake, DropWizard, Kubernetes and AWS.
Our team owns majority of functionalities of Risk Modeler 2.0 including platform APIs. In total, we own around 400 APIs. Risk Modeler™ is an innovative modeling application that unifies all of your risk modeling needs. It is designed to deliver a familiar application experience to users, while at the same time providing the benefits of all RMS models at a superior cost of ownership. It is powered by the RMS platform Risk Intelligence™, ensuring that actionable insights based on more accurate and detailed analytics and metrics are provided quickly and seamlessly into business workflow.
If you are someone who loves challenges, and has an appetite to work in a fast paced and challenging environment with a great team then you are reading the right job description!
About the Role – Senior Software Development Engineer
RMS is looking for engineers who are excited and passionate about tackling complex leading-edge software engineering challenges, processing large amounts of data at runtime within the context of a highly analytical, model-based computation framework. We are looking to solve incredibly challenging business and science real-world problems that will have a real impact.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Utilize modularity and layering to enable high scalability and maintainability for software applications.
- Write high-performance computer algorithms and software code for Risk Analytics suite of applications.
- Create software design documents, architecture, sequence, class and related artifacts.
- Translate design inputs into development work items.
- Assist in providing estimates for levels of effort required to accomplish expected deliverables.
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, Product/Project Managers and Quality Assurance engineers to develop multi-tier, multi-layered application layer framework and functional components, following coding, documentation and design standards.
- Design, develop and maintain high-performance software infrastructure using object-oriented design and analysis, using Java/Scala.
- Research new technologies and techniques to support leading-edge development.
- Provide an active contribution to the team responsible for the design, development, and implementation of critical enterprise scale applications.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar
- 7+ years of professional programming experience with a proven track record of on-time delivery
- Production programming experience object-oriented languages such as Java, Scala, or software development with any strongly typed language
- Experience with relational data storage (including stored procedures and queries) such as PostgreSQL and SQL Server
- Experience with AWS
- Experience developing design and contributing to development efforts in team lead or team architect capacity for 2 years or more.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering or similar
- 9+ years of professional programming experience with a proven track record of on-time delivery
- Experience developing design and contributing to development efforts in team lead or team architect capacity for 5 years or more.
- Experience with performance tuning, bottleneck analysis, and resource usage monitoring
- Experience working on and/or with containerization technologies such as Docker, and Kubernetes.
- Experience with Distributing Processing
- Experience with or exposure to scripting languages such as Python or R
- Experience with or exposure to Scala
- Experience with or exposure to Snowflake
- Familiarity with probabilistic and stochastic computational techniques
- Experience with data access and computing in highly distributed cloud systems
- Prior history with agile development
There’s a 1% chance an earthquake will cause $50 billion of insured loss within the next 12 months and a 5% chance that a hurricane will cause $60 billion of insured losses next year. At RMS, we turn risks into real numbers. How? By building simulation models that allow insurers and investors to understand and manage their global risks--from hurricanes, quakes, and wildfires, to cyberattacks, terror attacks, and pandemics. Why? We want to build a more resilient world, and we’re on a mission to help make every risk known.