What you get to do every day
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will...
- Act as a key technical player across the engineering lifecycle - gathering requirements from partners, defining experiences in partnership with UX Designers and Product Owners, and building services required to power those experiences.
- Integrate services and workflows across the organization, releasing with quality and observability measures included in the delivery of pipelines.
- Develop a strategy around diagnostics, reporting, alerting, auditing, and APM to better monitor our services in production.
- Identify gaps in test and tools coverage; design and build new frameworks and service layers to increase test system effectiveness; and improve our production testing infrastructure to increase deployment confidence.
- Partner with our Group Tech Lead and Architects to stay abreast of issues affecting the Zendesk platform.
- Advocate and define the standards for integrating (or building) new libraries, tools, and services to help us create and maintain reliable services at scale.
What you bring to the role
The ideal candidate will have deep technical knowledge and analytical skills, experience designing distributed systems which are scalable, reliable and resilient while creating unified developmental standards that can be used by other teams.
- Service delivery in distributed systems at scale with a consistent record of designing complex web services with low latency.
- Customer-first mentality in service incident management, data analysis, and root-cause analysis.
- Relational databases and NoSQL storage (preferably MySQL).
- Continuous Integration or Continuous Deployment / Delivery systems (Travis, Jenkins).
- An agile development environment.
Nice to have experience:
- Architecting maintainability into a product and committing to the highest standards
- Multiple programming languages (Scala, Java, Ruby, Go).
- Implementing observability layers and reporting tools (DataDog, New Relic, Kibana, Rollbar, Segment, Pendo, Optimizely).
- Modern web security features (authorization, identification, certificates, keychain, SSO, OAuth, SSL, 2FA, OAUTH, CSP, HSTS, SRI, CORS).
- Billing platforms and services (Zuora, Braintree, PayPal), multi-currency, payment processing, subscription modeling, fraud detection.
- Building concurrent data streaming and real-time systems using a message bus (Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc).
- Leading a team through software development and technical greenfield work.