Plenty is on a mission to make fresh, pesticide-free fruits and vegetables more accessible to everyone. Our cutting-edge indoor, vertical farms produce extraordinary yields using a fraction of the land and water outdoor farms need. Nutrient-rich, mouth-watering and locally grown, our crops help people, communities and our planet to be healthier and more resilient.
The people and teams who make up Plenty are at the core of how we do this. We are a collaborative and innovative bunch. We are passionate about our contributions to Plenty, the communities around us and our planet, but never take ourselves too seriously. We’re down to Earth, we grow together, and we always find a way. Most importantly, we’re here to improve the lives of plants, people and our planet.
About the role
Plenty is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join the Platform team within our Software and Data Systems organization. In this role, you will architect, implement and maintain Plenty's backend systems and infrastructure You will be a foundational member of the platform team who builds and manages critical software and data systems used across the organization. You will identify needs, collect requirements, and build and test systems and infrastructure used company-wide. You will contribute to the advanced automation in Plenty's production lines while also amplifying the impacts of Application Engineers, Data Scientists, Machine Learning Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, and Production Engineers across multiple organizations. You will work in a highly collaborative environment, partnering closely with fellow Engineers, Product managers and Project managers across the Plenty team.
What you'll do
- As a Staff Software Engineer you will be responsible for designing and implementing Backend and Data Infrastructure components for our Farm Operating System
- Identify opportunities where production data can be highly leveraged to improve production yields, efficiencies, and quality
- Maintain a rigorous standard for deploying clean, tested code in a highly collaborative environment with rapid iteration
- Create tooling, automation, and documentation to facilitate others in deploying, operating, and extending your code
- Design and implement a highly performant distributed system to orchestrate operations in the farm with an emphasis on performance, resiliency and scalability.
- Manage and maintain evolving data systems for automation equipment logs and logic
- Support, guide, and lead the data community within the company
What you'll bring to the table
- Education or training equivalent to a B.S. or higher (e.g. M.S. or Ph.D) in Computer Science, Mathematics or other similar discipline and 7+ years of progressive software development experience
- An exceptional communicator -- you thrive at translating product and business goals into robust technical solutions, and can explain those solutions to teammates in differing domains
- Deep understanding of object-oriented programming using Java
- Strong background in system architectures, high-performance computing, distributed systems and Ability to design and implement RESTful microservices
- Experience with database systems and big data technologies such as Apache Beam, Spark, Kafka, MapReduce, and Athena
- You are experienced using technologies in several of the following areas: microservices, various IPC models, Java, Spring or Guice, cloud-based deployments.
- Ability to manage competing demands and tight deadlines
Type of role
What we can offer
- Compensation; we’ll pay you a competitive salary, give you a stake in the company via equity and contribute toward your 401K
- Health & well-being; we’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with comprehensive medical, dental, & vision benefits, in-office gyms, and an Employee Assistance Program to help with mental health, financial & legal matters
- Food; in-office lunches, snacks and access to our leafy greens & new produce in development -- are you up for a side gig as a taste tester?
- Grow together; learning & development opportunities including unlimited access to our Upstart University platform, LinkedIn Learning, lunch & learns, training certifications, and more
- Equipment; we’ll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful, including $75/month toward your phone bill and $250 every 2 years to upgrade your phone
- Paid time off; we know you’ll do your best if you’re taking time to recharge, so we don’t cap the amount of days you can take off per year in addition to the paid holidays we observe
- Parental leave; 12 weeks off for all new parents - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Food Safety Requirement
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP, and SQF regulations