What drives you? Maybe you want to make the world a better place and tackle new, exciting challenges while disrupting an industry. Maybe you want to solve complex problems in applied machine learning, cloud deployments, or vehicle routing on an unmatched engineering team. Maybe you want to advance your career and work with the brightest minds in freight. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place!
Interviewing is a two-way street, so let’s get to know each other. Here’s a little about us:
- We’re growing fast — like, speed-of-light fast. We have 150 new, full-time Flockers and more square feet — in Encinitas and Chicago — than ever before
- We’re taking names. Find us on the CNBC Disruptor 50, SDCE 100, SDBJ Diversity & Social Responsibility, and Fast Company World Changing Ideas lists
- We’ve got support. Our investors include SoftBank, Volvo Group Venture Capital, SignalFire, GLP Capital Partners, and GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Efficiency is in our DNA. Our mission is to reinvent North America’s $2-trillion freight industry by relentlessly eliminating waste and inefficiency
- Algorithms drive our sustainable shared truckload solution. Behind our carbon neutral shared truckload service is world-class tech (and a lot of sweat)
- We walk the talk. We make a positive impact in everything we do; our B Corporation certification is proof. We were the first B Corp in our industry
- We ask a lot of our people, but take care of them. Our team has a lot to prove and the attitude to do it. Join our high-performance, high-care culture
- Pandemics aside, we offer flexible work schedules. Knowing you have a life outside of work, we won’t ask you to do your job from the office five days a week
This position is located at Flock Freight HQ in San Diego, CA or Remote.
About the role
We’re looking for an exceptional, opinionated front-end software engineer to join the team responsible for building and deploying our responsive web applications used by thousands of customers. Our team is made up of a small group of engineers who are passionate about creating innovative solutions built with modern technology. As a member of this team, your talent and expertise will influence the best practices, design patterns, and technologies that we use to deliver the best experience for our customers.
- Take ownership of key components of our platform and applications
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and tune applications
- Implement high-quality, well-documented, test-driven, robust, and maintainable code
- Develop automated tests (unit, integration, performance) and write testable code
- Participate in the full SDLC in a fast-paced, dynamic, truly agile workflow
- Work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Analyze requirements and use cases, decomposing them into specific technical, functional, and implementation tasks with high-level effort estimates; write specification documents as needed
- Develop new functionality, application components, and APIs
- Collaborate with a product designer to develop responsive and dynamic web user interfaces
- Apply modern open source tools and frameworks where appropriate
- Make recommendations regarding the development of new code, reuse or refactoring of existing code, and use of 3rd party and/or open source frameworks
- At least five years of relevant work experience
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Experience building single-page front-end web applications
- Web application development with modern frameworks (e.g. React/Redux, Angular2)
- Practical application of object-oriented and concurrent programming and use of design patterns
- GCP, AWS, or equivalent IAAS and PAAS cloud services, containerized production deployments
- Git, modern IDEs and build/deployment tools (e.g. npm, Docker)
- Designing mission critical, scalable, and fault tolerant web applications
- Exceptional problem solving, analysis, decomposition, and communication skills
- Assimilating new information, understanding complex topics, and using judgement to make sound technical decisions
- End-to-end debugging, performance tuning, and monitoring
Committed to creating an environment that’s fair and inclusive, Flock Freight fills open positions based on qualifications, merit, and business need. We value the skills of people from various backgrounds and are proud to hire, promote, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool. Diverse perspectives are central to innovation at Flock Freight and make our team better.
Flock Freight has zero tolerance for behavior that negatively impacts marginalized groups, including women, people of color, veterans, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. We invite people of all identities to join the Flock!