The Zendesk Buying Experience team is looking for a well-rounded Staff Engineer with strong experience in crafting web solutions at scale. Join us to build a simple and secure experience across the Zendesk family of products.
The ideal candidate will have deep technical knowledge and experience in designing distributed systems that are scalable, reliable, and resilient. A technical leader who understands the design trade-offs.
What you get to do every day
- Partner across all areas of the SDLC, including requirements gathering, working with product owners, and building services and solutions.
- Work across teams and organization boundaries to standardize and integrate services, new libraries, tools, and workflows
- Actively participate in code reviews and design discussions
- Develop a strategy around diagnostics, reporting, alerting, auditing, and APM to better monitor our services in production.
- Collaborate with downstream teams to identify gaps in quality and suggest solutions to mitigate them.
- Partner with our Group Tech Lead and Architects to stay abreast of issues affecting the Zendesk platform.
- Work with engineering and product teams to prioritize the work focusing on security, performance, and scaling into the roadmap.
What you bring to the role
- Experience in service delivery in distributed systems at scale with a consistent record of designing complex web services with low latency.
- Proficiency in Web technologies: HTTP(s), RESTful web services, Docker, Java, and AWS
- Experience with relational databases and NoSQL storage (preferably MySQL).
- Experience with CI/CD and Delivery systems (Github Actions, Travis, Jenkins)
- Customer-first mentality when dealing with service incident management, data analysis, and root-cause analysis.
- Experience working in an agile development environment
- Ability to work independently yet fully collaborate with worldwide, remote teams, technical executives, and architects at the company.
- Act as an ally for management and be deeply invested in building an inclusive team environment
- A hunger for learning new technologies and an eagerness to grow your knowledge and capabilities.
Nice to have
- Architecting maintainability into the product and driving for the highest standards
- Experience with multiple programming languages (Ruby, Go)
- Experience implementing observability layers and reporting tools (DataDog, New Relic, Kibana, Rollbar)
- Knowledge of modern web security features (authorization, identification, certificates, keychain, SSO, OAuth, SSL)
- Experience with billing platforms and services (Zuora, Braintree, PayPal), multi-currency, payment processing, subscription modeling, fraud detection
- Experience building concurrent data streaming and building real-time systems using point-to-point and publisher-consumer messaging design patterns (preferably Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ)
- Experience working on open source projects with an active GitHub repo
- Clear, concise, and effective verbal and written communicator with the ability to share technical details clearly across org boundaries
- Experience in direct customer engagement related to business planning, feature explorations, and support-related activities
- Previous experience leading a team through software development and technical greenfield work experience