What drives you? Maybe you want to make the world a better place and tackle new, exciting challenges while disrupting an industry. Maybe you want to solve complex problems in applied machine learning, cloud deployments, or vehicle routing on an unmatched engineering team. Maybe you want to advance your career and work with the brightest minds in freight. If this sounds like you, you've come to the right place!
Interviewing is a two-way street, so let’s get to know each other. Here’s a little about us:
- We’re growing fast — like, speed-of-light fast. We have 150 new, full-time Flockers and more square feet — in Encinitas and Chicago — than ever before
- We’re taking names. Find us on the CNBC Disruptor 50, SDCE 100, SDBJ Diversity & Social Responsibility, and Fast Company World Changing Ideas lists
- We’ve got support. Our investors include SoftBank, Volvo Group Venture Capital, SignalFire, GLP Capital Partners, and GV (formerly Google Ventures)
- Efficiency is in our DNA. Our mission is to reinvent North America’s $2-trillion freight industry by relentlessly eliminating waste and inefficiency
- Algorithms drive our sustainable shared truckload solution. Behind our carbon neutral shared truckload service is world-class tech (and a lot of sweat)
- We walk the talk. We make a positive impact in everything we do; our B Corporation certification is proof. We were the first B Corp in our industry
- We ask a lot of our people, but take care of them. Our team has a lot to prove and the attitude to do it. Join our high-performance, high-care culture
- Pandemics aside, we offer flexible work schedules. Knowing you have a life outside of work, we won’t ask you to do your job from the office five days a week
This position is located at Flock Freight HQ in San Diego, CA.
At Flock Freight, we’re not just looking to build a sleek interface on top of an existing legacy solution and call it a day. We’re leveraging complex algorithms to fundamentally change the way freight moves, we’re reimagining a $60B industry, and we’re building an inherently sustainable business model that reduces carbon emissions with more efficient logistics solutions.
Our Flock is growing, and we’re looking to bring on an experienced and motivated backend engineer to join our small, high-horsepower team. You will work alongside our optimization, infrastructure, and product groups to innovate on and optimize our proprietary pooling technology - the heart of the Flock Freight platform.
At Flock Freight, we are all owners. We believe that a team empowered to invent is what pushes a company forward, and that new challenges are best met head on. We strive to foster an environment of perpetual learning and engineering excellence with a productive balance between collaboration and autonomy.
If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
- Work on horizontally scaling complex network optimization algorithms which are the key enabler to the company's mission
- Improve and innovate on our core automated costing and pricing engines, which form the foundational basis of our optimization
- Design and implement strategic decision-making tools to choose among the thousands of ways we could choose to move our shipments
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and tune applications
- Implement high-quality, well-documented, test-driven, robust, and maintainable code
- Develop automated tests (unit, integration, performance) and write testable code
- Participate in the full SDLC in a fast-paced, dynamic, truly agile workflow
- Work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment
- Analyze requirements and use cases, decomposing them into detailed technical, functional, and implementation tasks with high-level effort estimates; write specification documents as needed
- Develop new functionality, application components, APIs, and infrastructure
- Utilize relational database tools (SQL/SQL-92, MySQL, or similar RDBMS) to manage and persist application state and user data
- Apply modern open source tools and frameworks where appropriate
- Make recommendations regarding the development of new code, reuse or refactoring of existing code, and use of 3rd party and/or open source frameworks
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- At least five years relevant work experience
- Track record of releasing highly scalable backend services in a SOA or microservice architecture
- Experience architecting large-scale, mission critical, fault tolerant, multi-tier web applications
- Understanding of SOLID design, computational complexity, data structures, client/server architecture, scaling, design trade-offs
- Database design and architecture: data modeling, warehousing, and NoSQL database concepts
- Practical application of object-oriented and concurrent programming and use of design patterns
- GCP, AWS, or equivalent IAAS and PAAS cloud services, containerized production deployments
- Git, modern IDEs and build/deployment tools (e.g. Maven, SBT, Docker)
- Exceptional problem solving, analysis, decomposition, and communication skills
- Assimilating new information, understanding complex topics, and using judgement to make sound technical decisions
- End-to-end debugging, performance tuning, and monitoring
Committed to creating an environment that’s fair and inclusive, Flock Freight fills open positions based on qualifications, merit, and business need. We value the skills of people from various backgrounds and are proud to hire, promote, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool. Diverse perspectives are central to innovation at Flock Freight and make our team better.
Flock Freight has zero tolerance for behavior that negatively impacts marginalized groups, including women, people of color, veterans, immigrants, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. We invite people of all identities to join the Flock!