At Pacific Biosciences (NASDAQ: PACB), we are passionate about developing high-quality, innovative technologies and systems that impact areas of critical importance, including human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Our unique long-read gene sequencing technology generates complete and accurate data, giving scientist more insights. We believe our tools will lead to advances that will create long-lasting benefits for the world and its future.
Pacific Biosciences is looking for an experienced staff electrical engineer to architect and implement electronic subsystems for our next-generation SMRT sequencing instruments. This person will work with Systems Engineers to understand and refine requirements, document and champion hardware architecture options, drive interdisciplinary design reviews, and implement solutions from an optimal blend of off-the-shelf and custom components. This person should be comfortable implementing complex mixed analog & digital circuit boards, as well as FPGA designs.
This successful candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills and excel in effective collaboration with mechanical, optical, software, manufacturing, and systems subject matter experts within the department as well as program management. The candidate must feel comfortable inspiring and leading through innovation and discovery.
Ideally, the candidate has experience with semiconductor capital equipment, laboratory instruments, or similar products.
- Present and champion compelling solutions to both business and technical audiences.
- Explore technology trends and their applicability to Pacific Biosciences next-generation products.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Systems Engineering, Optical, Mechanical, and System Integration teams to refine hardware requirements.
- Work with stakeholders across the company to understand product needs and implement customer-focused solutions that meet business goals for quality, schedule, and cost.
- Design, prototype, build and test complex mixed analog and digital custom circuit boards, including programmable logic.
- Transition deliverables to mass production in collaboration with manufacturing NPI.
- Work closely with turnkey PCBA manufacturer and assembly house to build prototypes
- Collaborate with manufacturing on product-sustaining activities.
- Improve existing designs to be more reliable, manufacturable, and serviceable.
- Bachelors and/or Masters in Electrical Engineering or related discipline with 10+ years of work experience.
- Possess an analytical mindset and extensive experience with electronic and FPGA design.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting skills and structured problem-solving approach (e.g. Lean Six-Sigma methodology).
- Experience architecting and implementing complex high-performance embedded systems.
- Demonstrated competency in electronics and computer architecture and transitioning products to manufacturing.
- Proficient at schematic capture and PCB layout using OrCAD and Cadence Allegro CAD/EDA design tools.
- Experienced in signal integrity and EMI/EMC design techniques for PCBA design.
- Familiarity with High-Performance Compute (HPC) architectures is desirable.
- Drive DFx design activities through hardware development cycles to meet or exceed product performance targets.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, a strong team player, able to take initiative, detail-oriented, and able to work effectively as part of a strong hardware team. Thrives in a fast-paced environment, interacting with scientists and engineers from a variety of disciplines.