Job ID R-302425
Job Description Summary
The Staff Scientist, Advanced Flow Cytometry is a key role within the BD Biosciences Reagent program. The successful candidate will be responsible for initiating and driving reagent and assay development projects, with an eye towards developing new and improved solutions for research and clinical flow cytometry. Additionally, as an individual contributor within R&D, this position will contribute in the development of high-dimensional approaches (high parameter flow cytometry, data analysis and clustering, bioinformatics) to enable high resolution single cell analysis in healthy and diseased states. Key to achieving this will be the ability to work effectively across functions and sites.
- As an expert in multi-color flow cytometry, contribute in panel design efforts (10 to 20+ colors), development of high parameter data analysis tools, and provide inputs in the design and development of next generation flow cytometry tools (instrumentation, reagents, and assays)
- Follow the current best practices in flow cytometry and panel design, as well as contribute to the development of future best practices
- Support Marketing for product development and launch requirements
- Establish and manage external and internal cross functional collaborations
- Identify significant scientific trends or new issues of strategic importance and communicate to Leadership as appropriate
- Oral presentations to internal and external audiences
- Mentor junior Associates within Reagents R&D in multicolor flow cytometry
- Provide key inputs into critical Marketing and R&D activities as required
- Maintain a professional image at all times through dress, behavior, oral and written communications
Knowledge and Skills:
- Expertise and experience in cellular immunology (mouse and human) as well as flow cytometry instrumentation and reagents
- Requires experience designing, performing, and analyzing >10 color flow cytometry experiments, preferably on BD flow cytometers (LSRII, LSRFortessa, Canto, Aria, FACSymphony)
- Prior experience with high parameter (20+ colors) flow cytometry and/or cell sorting is a strong plus
- Experience with bioinformatics and data clustering algorithms is highly desirable
- Advanced analytical, troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Developed organizational, time management, and planning skills to efficiently manage multiple projects
- May require up to 25% travel
Education and professional experience:
- Requires a Ph.D in immunology or a related life science discipline with a minimum of 3 years of industry experience.
- Strong track record of peer-reviewed publications in reputed scientific journals.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience operating a flow cytometer.
- Previous experience in a customer facing role is a plus