TE Connectivity’s R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams conceive original ideas for new products, introduce them into practice. They are responsible for product development, and qualification from market definition through production and release; assist in the qualification of suppliers for new products to ensure suppliers deliver quality parts, materials, and services for new or improved manufacturing processes; conduct feasibility studies, testing on new and modified designs; direct and support detailed design, testing, prototype fabrication and manufacturing ramp. The R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams provide all required product documentation including, but not limited to, Solid Model, 2D/3D production drawings, product specifications, and testing requirements. They create and modify detailed drawings and drafting or conceptual models from layouts, rough sketches or notes and contribute to design modifications to facilitate manufacturing operation or quality of product. Typical fields of expertise include: materials, mechanics and systems, electrical, optics, chemistry, software, automation systems, packaging, testing and measurement, and manufacturing of electrical, mechanical and electronic components, products, and their integration into systems.
Responsibilities & Requirements
- Provide technical support and innovative solutions for external Automotive customers, including evaluation of and initiating new Infotainment / High voltage projects.
- Work on connectorization of a wireless connectivity proposal taking in account space requirements and automotive specifications including harsh environment and vibration.
- Evaluate and proof-read customer’s reference designs, including recommending more preferred or superior components.
- Recommend automotive grade data architectures, including choice of TE connector system and cable type, according to customer's need for a high voltage environment in an electric vehicle.
- Perform engineering activities involving direct customer input, meetings and extensive communications.
- Advice choice of TE connector based either for prototyping or final manufacturing processes.
- Support customers by promptly providing requested samples from TE portfolio.
- Help explaining differences between Consumer and Automotive grade connectors to customers.
- Reach out to internal experts to clarify intended use-cases and specifications of TE connectors.
- Summarize, inform, and explain customer input on new disruptive approaches seen in Silicon Valley to TE's Detroit and Germany engineering groups.
- Support TE Automotive engineering groups in adapting advanced connectivity solutions from other TE business units (e.g. Datacom, Consumer, Industrial).
- Coordinate project activities including fabrication of prototypes and simulation, test & measurement on components.
- Interface with TE’s Global teams on advanced technology projects and align our future technical solutions to customer’s needs.
- Retrieve information from industry or standardization working groups on innovative solutions for infotainment and high voltage applications.
Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or related discipline, or foreign equivalent, and five years of post-baccalaureate progressive experience in the job offered or in an electronics hardware related position.
Special Requirements: Experience must include:
- Terminal, connector, cable assembly technologies and the related manufacturing processes.
- Digital transmission techniques.
- Testing and measuring of wired and wireless components.
- Developing a modified or new design and taking it to prototype and then manufacturing scale.
- Tolerance analysis, and Rapid prototyping (SLA, 3D Printing).
- CREO, AutoCAD, Design Discovery, Keyshot, Spaceclaim and Solid Edge.