TE Connectivity’s R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams conceive original ideas for new products, introduce them into practice. They are responsible for product development, and qualification from market definition through production and release; assist in the qualification of suppliers for new products to ensure suppliers deliver quality parts, materials, and services for new or improved manufacturing processes; conduct feasibility studies, testing on new and modified designs; direct and support detailed design, testing, prototype fabrication and manufacturing ramp. The R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams provide all required product documentation including, but not limited to, Solid Model, 2D/3D production drawings, product specifications, and testing requirements. They create and modify detailed drawings and drafting or conceptual models from layouts, rough sketches or notes and contribute to design modifications to facilitate manufacturing operation or quality of product. Typical fields of expertise include: materials, mechanics and systems, electrical, optics, chemistry, software, automation systems, packaging, testing and measurement, and manufacturing of electrical, mechanical and electronic components, products, and their integration into systems.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Takes lead in technical domain of strategic C&F development projects from first ideas/concepts to final, commercialized products.
- Manages technical elements while maintaining performance and schedule.
- Mainly acts as Engineering Core Team member
- Knowledge of relevant NAM ANSI and IEEE standards – able to identify appropriate standards to be used to qualify connectors
- Use of Voice of Customer tools to capture user needs and ensure these are translated into quality requirements for parts
- Verification of suitability of designs for service through testing for conformance to industry standards
- Trainer level competency in technical tools specific to the job function: e.g. CAD, CAE, industrial or quality engineering tools.
- Trainer level knowledge of general engineering tools (LEAN or 6-sigma) such as DoE, FMEA, QFD, etc.
- Deep technical knowledge of the product domain and overhead /underground/substation power industry the engineer is working in.
- Understanding of competitive products and IP positions.
- Has influence in present role in current Department.
- Contributes to Department level technology and product decisions.
- Contributes to technical function initiatives.
- Trains and supports more junior engineers in the Department.
- Recognized as senior contributor by external peers.
- May contribute to a standards body and external publications.
- Known to customers and suppliers
- Completion of four year University program in Electrical or Mechanical engineering (BASc)
- Five to ten years successful employment record in innovation and design in elecrical industry
- Previous managerial/supervision experience is a plus.