This Staff Design Engineer, R&D, will work with internal and external teams to develop advanced surgical stapling instruments to interface with a novel surgical robot.
- This position will lead the definition, design, development, implementation, and robotic integration of these key surgical instruments.
- This individual must collaborate with internal and external customers, partners, and consultants to effectively communicate and deliver novel surgical instruments to market.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related science/engineering degree is required, an Advanced Degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years mechanical product design experience is required. Experience in a FDA-regulated environment is highly preferred.
- The following skills are key to success in this position:
- Experience designing, developing, and launching medical products.
- Strong mechanical design and analysis skills, including an understanding of mechanical subsystem interface to overall system design.
- The ability to develop and utilize 3D CAD models, FMEA’s, GD&T, tolerance analysis, FEA, DOE’s, simulated use testing, and statistical analysis.
- Experience with multi-disciplinary engineering, including: integrating sensors into mechanical designs, specifying embedded software that complements mechanical design, modeling and specifying the dynamic properties of mechanical systems for controls development, etc.
- Excellent collaboration and teaming skills to work with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to understand the considerations associated with Design for Manufacturing (DFM), Design to Cost (DTC), and working with other team members and consultants to produce prototypes and optimize designs for manufacturability.
- Experience translating high-level customer needs into technical options and analyzing the tradeoffs and business impact.
- Understanding of surgery, surgical procedures, and the design and application of surgical devices, as well as the quality system / regulatory environment.
- Building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations.
- Designing test procedures, coordinating tests, analyzing results, and developing written reports.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Strong understand of design control; the ability to develop and execute design plans, design verification and validation.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to define and co-develop complex electro-mechanical tool / robot interfaces.
Requisition ID: 6241171206