As a member of the technical staff, the Staff Electrical Engineer supports both existing Cues products, and new product developments. Cues products, used primarily in the utility inspection market, incorporate a very broad range of technologies: High Voltage/Current DC Power Supplies, DC Motor Drivers, Analog and HD cameras and optics, Low voltage Analog and Digital signal processing, Lighting Systems, High Performance Sensors (Lidar and Sonar), and Long-Range Communications. An ideal candidate for the Staff Engineer position will have a working familiarity with most of these technologies, and be a 'subject matter expert' in one or more of them.
The Staff EE should be able to perform system design, requirements analysis, and trade studies, and provide flow-down of systems requirements to hardware and software developers. This individual should be able to conduct independent research into topics related to new product development or subject matter expertise. The Staff EE should have a strong grasp of Electrical Engineering and Physics fundamentals, and be able to perform predictive analyses to define system and circuit performance limits and margins. The role requires the ability to take ownership of and be responsible for critical development activities, including project planning, design, implementation, testing, documentation, validation and support. He/she must be a graduate in an applicable field with significant industry experience or equivalent. In addition, the Staff EE may also design, debug, and test prototype components and circuit card assemblies. The role involves occasional travel and requires the ability to work within commercial and scientific teams.
Essential Job Functions and Duties
- Perform system design, performance and margin analyses, define circuit and software design requirements
- Provide flow-down of design requirements to hardware and software developers.
- Design, debug, and test prototype components and circuit card assemblies.
- Function as a subject matter expert, perform independent technical research, and mentorship
- Manage critical development activities, including project planning, design and design reviews, prototype testing, documentation, validation, and support.
- Provide technical support to sales and marketing for bids and proposals.
- Provide technical support to Manufacturing and Vehicle Assembly of new and existing products
- Able to analyze data, and solve complex and abstract problems
- Able to convert customer/sales objectives into system and design requirements
- Able to analyze performance of systems and circuits, identify limits and margins
- Can understand and interpret detailed component and product specifications
- Can effectively lead a design team; provide guidance and mentorship
- Ability to utilize standard laboratory test equipment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; Works well with others, at all levels
- Minimum BSEE (MSEE preferred)
- Experience with Circuit design, Firmware, and PCB layout practices
- Familiarity with Schematic capture and Circuit simulation tools (e.g., Pspice, Altium)
- Exposure to Microprocessor/Microcontroller Development Tools
- Exposure to at least one high level programming language (C++, C#)
- Experience in design, analysis, and repair of electronic systems.
- Familiarity with accepted product development procedures and methodologies
- Familiarity with standard Office Tools (Word, Excel, Acrobat
Expertise in any of the following will add weight to a candidate's consideration:
- Analog Design
- Op Amp Design
- Active and Passive Analog Filter Design
- DC/DC Power Supply design (e.g., Buck, Boost, Buck/Boost Topologies)
- Discrete HV Protection Circuitry
- Digital Design
- Embedded design and programming
- FPGA design, simulation, synthesis & implementation
- Implementation of Digital Video Processors and/or image processing algorithms
- Analog and HD Cameras
- Camera Optics and Lenses
- Lighting Design for intensity and uniformity
- Optical sources (lamps, lasers, LEDs, etc.) and drive circuits
- Optical detectors (i.e. Photodiodes, CMOS detectors, and CCD's) and readout circuits
- Subject Matter Expertise in:
- Advanced sensors (e.g., Lidar, Sonar)
- Grounding, Noise Mitigation, and EMI Measurement and Reduction Techniques
- Transmission Lines, Crosstalk, Signal Integrity
- Precision Control and Actuation (e.g., PID control loops, PLL's)
- Communications (SPI, I2C, USB, Bluetooth, WiFi, Ethernet, DSL, etc.)
- RF (e.g., antennas, SNR, noise figure, link margin)
- Data Analysis Tools (e.g., Matlab, LabView)
- Mechanical CAD Tools (Inventor or Autocad)