We expect that most qualified candidates will have at least 12 years of professional software development experience building highly available, scalable web APIs in a microservices environment.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Work with an onboarding buddy to push commits in your first week.
- Use our documentation to learn the budding microservices architecture.
- Start familiarizing yourself with our Python codebases and begin contributing.
- Use code reviews and pairing with peers to raise code quality.
- Deploy changes confidently with solid test coverage through our robust CI/CD pipeline.
- Participate in sprint planning and retrospective meetings.
- Get to know your remote peers and stakeholders over video calls.
- Identify pain points in the team’s process and codebases with fresh eyes, and share ideas from past experiences.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Collaborate with developers, product managers, and stakeholders to identify, pitch, and lead engineering system opportunities and solutions.
- Demonstrate expertise in using Python/Flask to quickly iterate toward product goals, while also using your polyglot experience to steer the team toward the best tools for the jobs at hand.
- Leverage your deep experience with AWS tools and systems to help us grow and scale effectively.
- Take lead on breaking large existing systems into microservices while thoughtfully weighing the costs and benefits of the architectural decisions.
- Employ industry best practices in your work, and share those practices with your peers.
- Work across the stack and multiple applications to create the data systems that power our students’ learning. Lead architecture projects to clarify and improve system integration and cross-application workflows.
- Carefully design and evolve the data model to support both near- and long-term business use cases.
- Improve observability across the system through standardized logging, metrics, and dashboards.
- Maximize your impact in an environment that strives for high focus and infrequent engineering interruptions, and champion that environment with stakeholders and product managers.
- Invest in a culture of accountability by holding yourself and your peers to high standards.
- Receive regular performance feedback from your manager and peers.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Influence the roadmap and product development of Chegg Skills systems.
- Expand your knowledge and influence by rotating across project pods in an advisory role, leaving your fingerprints across many codebases and product areas.
- Lead research and architecture initiatives to support Chegg Skills’ rapid growth, and build out the project plans to make it happen.
- Standardize and document operating procedures.
- Invest in senior-level developers through mentoring relationships.
- Develop a career growth plan and goals with your manager.