Responsible for the filling and dispensing of medication orders including the proper handling, usage, and storage of drugs in the pharmacy. Maintains standards set by the department and translates policies and procedures into the daily operation of the pharmacy. Responsible for acting as an information resource to patients, physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals regarding medication therapy and drug related information and literature. Plans and organizes work schedule of supportive personnel and pharmacists, as required.
Education & Training: Bachelor of science degree in pharmacy from an accredited program. Advanced degree or enrollment in advanced degree program preferred.
Required Licenses/Certifications: Licensed by Texas State Board of Pharmacy. BLS preferred.
Work Experience: One to three years of experience as a registered pharmacist in a hospital preferred.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Demonstrates the ability to perform specific competencies as listed on the competency validation checklist.
• Performs all responsibilities/duties required by the pharmacy as defined by the scope of service to ensure that the unique nature of the client is addressed.
• Responsible for the preparation and distribution of medication orders filled
• Responsible for training, supervising, educating and checking the work of supportive personnel and students; and for serving as a preceptor.
• Responsible for ensuring the correct labeling of medication containers.
• Responsible for interpretation of physician medication orders for accuracy and appropriateness, informing them of any errors, omissions, or discrepancies and based on an evaluation of the patient’s condition, suggests appropriate or alternate drug therapy to the physician.
• Responsible for maintaining a working knowledge of, and conforming to legal requirements concerning the distribution of drugs, as well as good working knowledge of recent developments in the field of pharmacy (continuing education by attending available conferences, meetings and seminars).
• Responsible for the development, preparation, and compounding of special dosage forms of drugs not commercially available.
• Assumes charge pharmacist responsibilities as required, which include supervising the supportive personnel, assigning work and delegating tasks and responsibilities, and for handling problems that arise during the absence or unavailability of the director of pharmacy services.
• Performs monthly nursing station checks to ensure the medications are properly and safely stored, that excess and expired drugs are removed, and that information regarding drug usage and administration is communicated to the nursing staff. Responsible to function as pharmacy liaison to assigned nursing staff.
• Maintains and assures quality control standards of the department by conducting drug usage evaluations and quality assurance programs within guidelines of the Joint Commission.
• Responsible for the distribution, control and record keeping of all controlled substances, and ethyl alcohol.
• Attends all meetings and trainings as required
• Attends all mandatory education programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety and regulatory compliance.
• Attends all required department-specific education and training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to department safety and specific job related hazards.
• Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
• Wears proper identification while on duty.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requisition ID : 2893