Staff Optical EngineerJob Description
MicroVision is the creator of PicoP® scanning technology, an ultra-miniature laser projection and sensing solution based on the laser beam scanning methodology pioneered by the company. The technology is well suited to support a wide array of applications including interactive projection, 3D LiDAR sensing for applications such as advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), robotics and industrial applications, and Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR/VR). MicroVision is an independently recognized leader for its formidable intellectual property portfolio. The company is based in Redmond, Washington
MicroVision has an immediate opportunity for an experienced and innovative Optical Engineer. As a key member of the MicroVision Product Development team, you will work directly with MicroVision optical and mechanical design engineers as well as with the MicroVision Electrical and MEMS engineering teams. This position at our Redmond facility will provide optical analysis, design and development for small laser beam scanning display products and 3D-Sensing products.
The primary focus of this role is:
- Design and develop optics for laser based projection products and 3D-sensing products from conceptual design through manufacturing release (beam shaping, wavelength or polarization combining, distortion correction).
- Investigative concept studies and prototype design of optical systems for novel applications.
- System level analysis to optimize image quality, optical efficiency, size and cost.
- Conduct design reviews and provide recommendations to meet the system requirements.
- Demonstrated Experience using Zemax, geometric optics, physical optics, optimization, tolerancing and sensitivity analysis.
- Experience designing lenses, free form optics and beam shaping optics for laser based devices.
- Experience specifying optical coatings considering manufacturability and cost.
- Experience with system level tolerance analysis.
- Experience with Illumination and stray light analysis using Zemax Non Sequential Mode.
- Knowledge of production methods for glass and plastic optics, both low and high volume.
- Experience with equipment and instrumentation to measure optical power, beam characteristics, beam positioning, etc.
- Hands on experience with lab equipment, laser diodes, and optical components to build and test proof of concept prototypes.
- Solid communication and problem solving skills, ability to understand complex systems and ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English.
- 5-8+ years experience in new product design and development.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Experience with MEMS (scanning, accelerometers, etc).
- Experience with imaging systems, understanding of image quality issues.
- Experience with 3D sensing applications, time of flight, etc.
- Experience with Multi Lens Array design, Head Up Displays and/or Eyewear applications.
- MS or PhD in Optical Engineering or related field.