Fastly is on a mission to build a better internet, and our Mission Control Center is the nexus that monitors and coordinates activities to ensure the mission is a success. Here our Mission Control Engineers (MCEs) monitor and evaluate customer traffic and overall CDN performance to make sure our customers and their customers are getting the best possible user experience.
While this might sound a lot like a NOC, Fastly’s Mission Control Center is anything but “traditional.” Rather than eyes on glass monitoring and trouble ticket creation, our MCEs are trained and empowered to directly resolve issues. They work hand in hand with Senior Engineering teams and Customer Support Engineers to identify issues within and beyond the Fastly CDN. It’s our job to make the best sites and apps on the internet faster and more reliable giving our MCEs the opportunity to hone their skills on one of the highest performance global networks in the world.
The team is structured with career development in mind, giving MCEs a clear path to grow their skills within the MCE and move up to more senior engineering roles. Staff Mission Control Engineers are able to choose a specific areas of focus and work closely with Systems Engineering, Edge Cloud Operations, Site Reliability Engineers, and our Security Operations Center, for continual technical and personal development.
We’re looking for a special kind of candidate for this role. You’ll be able to influence the speed of your own advancement, so a hunger for knowledge and technical curiosity will pay dividends. You’ll need a customer centric focus to advocate for our users, strong communication skills to work across the organization, and a team player attitude to dig in and help keep Fastly the kind of company we’ve always wanted to work for.
- Monitor and troubleshoot customer performance and activity
- Coordinate with senior engineering teams during scheduled or emergency maintenance activity
- Work with Customer Support Engineers to understand customer issues and activity
- Serve as primary escalation point for Level 1 Mission Control Engineers
- Create process documentation and training materials for Mission Control Engineers
- Contribute to the processes and policies that scale our organization as we grow
- Assist in requirements gathering and development of Mission Control Monitoring Systems and troubleshooting tools
- Provide guidance, mentoring, and training for new Mission Control and Customer Support Engineers
Keys to Success
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. If you have experience and/or interest in SOME of the following, you should apply!
- Strong written communication skills
- Network and systems engineering experience
- Experience with Unix/Linux command line interface and common system administration commands
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages
- Ability to debug connections using cURL, ping, traceroute, telnet and other network diagnostic tools
- Prior CDN, support, or NOC experience is a plus
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar IT discipline or 3 years equivalent experience
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced and dynamic environment. Calm under pressure, with customer empathy and a strong desire to help.
- Deep understanding of AWS
- Experience with infrastructure automation (Salt, Chef, Puppet or Ansible)
- Versed in continuous integration tools (TeamCity, Jenkins, etc.)
- Substantial knowledge of SCM (Git, Github, Subversion, Mercurial, etc.)
- Experience with application server frameworks, and web servers (Rails, Django, Nginx, Apache HTTP, Flask, etc.)
- Monitoring tools expertise (pingdom, nagios, Datadog, New Relic, Catchpoint, Conviva, Prometheus, Grafana)