Position Summary The Staff Mechanical Fluidics Engineer will provide high quality engineering expertise for Fluidics Engineering design and development projects within Laboratory Diagnostics (LD), Global Engineering Organization (GEO) for Siemens Healthineers, Inc. Fluidics Engineering includes development of automated systems to transfer and meter precise liquid volumes of patient sample and reagents, bulk fluid handling and transfer, thermal control of fluids, liquid mixing, component washing, and instrument waste stream handling. This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering and 7+ years of experience in related Engineering activities. Candidate must demonstrate expertise in Engineering field, advanced development methodologies, product life cycle management (PLM) tools practices, and procedures. Expertise in Fluidics/fluid dynamics is a plus. Essential Job Functions The person in this position responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for quality, timeliness and costs-effectiveness of Fluidics Engineering designs for development projects within LD GEO.
- Actively participates in identification of potential technical problems and provides effective solutions by application of concepts, techniques, knowledge, and processes; display original thinking in applying principles, theories, and concepts on a wide range of problems within the field of Fluidics Engineering.
- Works closely with Mechatronic, Systems, Electrical, Controls, Structural, Thermal, and Software Applications Engineers as well as with Reliability, Test, Manufacturing, and Service Engineers on full integration of Fluidics Engineering into product development.
- Responsible for timely and high quality documentation of design progress, preparation and execution of technical reviews.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement efforts for the Fluidics Engineering function, contributes to development and administration of Process, Practice and Procedures (PPPs) in the area of Fluidics Engineering.
- Applies best practice and appropriate tool usage in actual daily practice.
- Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing.
- Appropriately document designs, activities, and knowledge growth to meet project, organization, and regulatory needs.
- Works with external vendors in close cooperation with LD supply chain management.
- Travels as required by cross-site product development.
- Demonstrated understanding of mechanicaldesign and product development for robust performance with minimized cost and high manufacturability.
- Ability to lead Fluidics Engineering design project with focus on reliability and cost–effectiveness
- Ability to critically evaluate existing Fluidics Engineering design and propose performance improvements.
- Demonstrated understanding of fundamentals of fluid dynamics in laboratory-scale applications is a plus.
- Great oral and written presentation skills. The ability to communicate work progress in a manner leading to establishment of credibility with senior leadership.
- Experiencedesigning medical devices or automation equipment is strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with design of medical Lab Diagnostics instruments is a big plus
- Experience of working in a large global corporate matrix environment is a plus.
- Experience of working in multi-discipline teams.
- Working knowledge of Product Development Process and Design Control.
- Working knowledge of Set Based Design and otherlean development techniques is highly desirable.
- Working understanding of DfSS, Design Optimization and Robustness, Knowledge Briefs (K-Briefs or A3’s) and Knowledge Gap Analysis is strongly preferred.
- Experience of working with vendors to fabricate prototype and production parts and tooling.
- Demonstrated fluency in Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Knowledge of advanced manufacturing process, e.g., injection molding, 3D printing prototyping is preferred
- Fluent in use of SAP document control system is a plus
- Experience spanning all phases of product development from concept creation through commercialization
- Ability to create statistically sound test cases for product or feature performance demonstration and verification.
- Experience selecting, validating, and employing OEM components in a mechanicaldesign
- Ability to apply system-level thinking in the design process including software, sequencing, and system timing. Education/Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering with 7+ years of demonstrated practical success in R&D.
- Experience in product development for Medical/Pharmaceutical/Aerospace/Automotive industry is a plus.
- Relevant Certifications such as Professional Engineer license are a plus.
Active participation in Professional Engineering societies (ASME, ASHRAE, etc.) is a plus #LI-LP1
Requisition Number: 222710