Job ID: BEC009754
At Beckman Coulter, we are dedicated to advancing and optimizing the laboratory. For more than 80 years, we have been a trusted partner for laboratory professionals, helping to advance scientific research and patient care. We do challenging work on a global scale, and are invested in growing our associates’ careers. We embrace continuous improvement, and are passionate about moving science and healthcare forward.
We have a vital role at Beckman Coulter: our focus on innovation, reliability and efficiency has led us to become the partner of choice for clinical, research and industrial customers all over the world.
Beckman Coulter is a Danaher company, operating in two industries: Diagnostics and Life Sciences.
This position provides an opportunity to be a major contributor in a high
functioning worldwide engineering team tasked with improving quality,
performance and cost of medical diagnostic instruments and consumables. As a
Staff Mechanical Engineer in the Sustaining Engineering/Value Engineering
organization, you will have the opportunity to use your engineering knowledge
to design components and subsystems, utilize cutting edge manufacturing
methods, optimize processes and apply design change principles within an FDA
- Own a portion of the Direct Material Cost Savings target
within the Mechanical and Systems group in Sustaining Engineering/Value
- Lead and manage projects across all Beckman Diagnostics
sites for cost reduction, reliability and quality improvement with occasional
guidance from leadership.
- Redesign components and subsystems in medical device
instrumentation and consumables
- Author and own technical documentation including design
change plans, verification test protocols, and verification test reports.
- Perform risk assessment activities such as DFMEA and
PFMEA Perform data analysis, summarize in report format and present to cross
- Utilize Solidworks CAD software to design components for
various manufacturing processes and integrate within assemblies.
- Execute feasibility and verification testing using test
fixtures and Beckman Coulter instruments
- Perform various design reviews for redesigned parts such
as tolerance analysis, drawing reviews, GD&T, design for manufacturing, and
technical peer reviews.
- Interface with suppliers for design, specification and
cost of components and manufactured parts
- Design and build test fixtures for components such as
valves, pumps, motors and gearboxes
- Work with cross functional teams including manufacturing,
quality, development and procurement
- Follow processes and procedures to execute projects in
compliance with quality and regulatory requirements within an FDA regulated
- Develop proficiency with DBS tools including Daily
Management, PSP and VAVE Kaizen Prioritize and manage projects as assigned by:
- Creating schedules and project plans using MS Project
- Managing the work of outside suppliers
- Generating support and buy-in from other individuals
and/or groups as necessary to execute projects successfully
- Communicating progress and results effectively
Required Education and Experience
Degree in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering with 9+ years' relevant experience; OR,
Degree in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering with 7+ years' relevant
- PhD in
Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering with 4+ years' relevant experience.
Required and Preferred Skills
of FDA/ISO quality systems (specifically Design Controls/Product Realization)
and related requirements
of product development and manufacturing methodologies to achieve high quality
design (design for reliability)
skill in the areas required to perform this job:
- Mechanical design and analysis using SolidWorks required
- Strengths in thermal analysis and design
- Design for reliability/manufacturability
- Experience designing for die casting strongly preferred
- Materials and component selection
- Test fixture design
- Hydro pneumatic and fluidic subsystem design
- Characterization, verification and validation activities
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation Skills
- Ability to lead projects within cross-functional team
- Problem solving