$100K — $150K *
The Equipment Engineer is responsible for designing, delivering, and managing equipment to support production of all Tesla products. We are looking for a talented and highly motivated individual to join the PC Equipment Engineering Team. This team is responsible for supporting all physical engineering needs of the Production Control Team, including designing equipment for part transport and staging, providing solutions to safety and ergonomic issue, as well as leading warehouse and process improvement and new product launch projects. The scope of equipment includes, but is not limited to: conveyors, lifts, ASRSs, robots, and mobile equipment including AGVs. Successful members of the team will be highly proactive and self-sufficient in pursuing improvement projects, will be able to multitask and refocus efforts immediately to meet constantly shifting demands in a fast-paced environment, and have exceptional leadership ability to drive cross functional collaboration projects to completion on or ahead of schedule.
This position reports to the Production Control – Equipment Engineering Manager.
• Design equipment meeting interdepartmental needs and specifications.
• Creation of equipment drawings and specs, quotes, and purchase requisitions.
• Utilize DFMA principles in production creation and improvement projects.
• Develop business cases for improvement projects and equipment acquisitions.
• Order equipment to meet staffing, spares, and maintenance needs.
• Interface with suppliers for manufacturing feasibility, validation, and other engineering activities, as necessary.
• Deliver specifications, designs, analyses, and prototypes on time and within budget.
• Ensure designs are compatible with packaging, material-handling, and production processes and are appropriately serviceable.
• Support equipment -based process introductions and adjustments.
• Day to day coverage of production line equipment: respond to alarms, breakdowns, and Production requests quickly and efficiently to minimize downtime.
• Diagnoses equipment failures, finds root cause and communicates actions taken to the rest of the team.
• Become Expert Level Trainer on all machines in assigned area and be responsible for the level of knowledge of Shift technicians.
• Takes initiative to create, implement and improve PM documents and schedules.
• Perform major equipment repairs and rebuilds, (some weekends and holidays required).
• Participate in spare part analysis and inventory development, cost reduction and improvement.
• Work with Spares Coordinator and Maintenance Engineering to RMA faulty components and communicate needs to the vendor.
• Work with Process and Equipment engineering and other cross functional groups to resolve maintenance issues, improve equipment reliability, review procedures, and minimize equipment downtime.
• Investigate and implement countermeasures to prevent repetitive breakdowns.
• Active leader of a TPM team while taking on improvement projects to assist in improving the factory.
• Design and Implement Equipment Reliability Improvement Projects
• Bachelor of Science or higher in mechanical engineering or similar field of study.
• Work efficiently and productively both independently and in team settings
• Communicate clearly using excellent written and verbal skills.
• Demonstrate talent for conceiving efficient design solutions to complex engineering challenges.
7+ years of experience performing similar work (Automotive industry experience preferred)
• Proficiency in CATIA V5, or similar 3D CAD software (Solidworks, ProE, Unigraphics, etc).
• Basic understanding of GD&T as well as weld symbols.
• Experience with rapid prototyping and small to medium volume production.
• Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials, fastening methods,
• Familiarity with designing any or all of the following: mobile & stationary material handling equipment, towed dollies, racks, stands, lift-assists, and end-of-arm tools.
• 5+ years of experience performing similar work (Automotive industry experience preferred)
• Familiarity with industrial robots and controls systems.
Valid through: 12/7/2020