The Staff Engineer applies an advanced knowledge of engineering fundamentals to the division’s engineering and design activities and provides work leadership to lower level employees. The Staff Engineer interacts with all OTECH departments as necessary to provide engineering support to OTECH manufacturing, integration, and test activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate and supervise an interdisciplinary design team of engineers, designers, drafters, technical writers, and technicians.
- Provide work and technical leadership for lower level employees.
- Review progress and evaluate results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Coordinate and direct engineering projects that may include a variety of complex features and design requirements.
- Review and approve objectives, schedules, and estimates for difficult assignments.
- Estimate resource requirements to meet technical and scheduling objectives.
- Estimate personnel needs and coordinate work to meet completion dates.
- Review completion and implementation of technical products.
- Ensure that customer requirements are systematically converted into total system solutions.
- Maintain the Systems Engineering Program in accordance with customer/project requirements, including the performance of hazard analyses and FMEAs.
- Analyze and develop design approaches for complex engineering projects.
- Demonstrate excellent technical judgment and appreciable independent evaluation and ingenuity.
- Make independent decisions to resolve engineering problems and methods.
- Develop and apply advanced engineering design methods, theories, and research techniques within related technical fields.
- Conduct investigations and tests of considerable complexity.
- Generate work instructions and test procedures.
- Interact with customer representatives to define and manage customer expectations.
- Participate in Technical Working Groups to assess and improve ADTECH processes and capabilities.
- Provide technical consultation to other organizations.
- Review literature, patents, and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Assist in bid and proposal efforts by providing cost estimations, technical approach definitions, and input to baseline schedule data.
- Evaluate vendor capability to provide required products or services.
- Occasional work outside normal working hours should be anticipated.
- Some travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Ocean Engineering.
- 10 to 15 years of practical experience in mechanical engineering.
- 5 or more years of management experience leading multidisciplinary design teams.
- Demonstrated and well-developed leadership qualities.
- Capable of managing technical aspects of important and complex projects.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- Excellent analytical skills for preparing and reviewing technical and project reports.
- Advanced knowledge and practical application of engineering principles within all related engineering fields of the company.
- Experience with CMMI/ISO.
- Experience fielding Ship Board systems.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Work experience with US Department of Defense.
- May be widely recognized for achievements, technical expertise, and professional standing within selected field.