Staff Mechanical Engineer
10x Genomics is a rapidly growing company in the life sciences, whose core technology combines advances in instrumentation, chemistry, biochemistry, microfluidics and computational biology.
10x is looking for an outstanding individual to join its Instrumentation Engineering team supporting our ultra-precision mechanical designs and execution of 10x products.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in Mechanical Engineering of automation and life sciences instrumentation. Demonstrated hands on experience with SolidWorks and PDM software is required. Previous experience in producing mechanical designs that include automation, fluid handling and instrument structural components are a must.
- Lead responsible for the design, development, and release of mechanical designs for life science instrumentation or medical capital equipment.
- Designing pneumatic systems for microfluidic management, including pressure control architecture and the selection of sensors, valves and pumps.
- Developing instrument electro-mechanical and structural components
- Coordinate designs with other key functions including Assay, Optical, Electrical and System Engineering.
- Development of automated fluid and consumables handling automation/robotics.
- Proven track record of taking new products from concept through design and into manufacturing.
- Thorough understanding and hands-on experience producing mechanical design documentation, in support of releasing new products into manufacturing.
- Experience with managing both internal and external (out-sourced) product development efforts.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of experience in life science instrumentation, and/or automation/robotics mechanical design.
- Proficient in SolidWorks
- Understanding of GD&T and statistical tolerance analysis
- Understands basic thermal dynamics, fluid dynamics, and stress analysis.
- Working knowledge and understanding of pneumatics is a strong plus
- Familiarity with various ideation methodologies and design for manufacturing principles.
- Experienced in Supplier Engagement and support, domestic and off-shore
- Working knowledge of manufacturing techniques, machining, injection molding and consumables for biotech
- Experience working with under ISO 9001
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with a compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.