General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of General Atomics, is a world leader in proven, reliable remotely piloted aircraft and tactical reconnaissance radars, as well as advanced high-resolution surveillance systems.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Staff Manufacturing Engineer (LRU/PWA) Line-Repair Unit/Printed Wiring Assembly located in Poway, CA. This position will support the design (DFM), first article, production, test, and system integration of Printed Wiring Assemblies and Avionics Box Build for all RPA platforms including Ground Control Stations (GCS). Designs incorporate Mil Spec and commercial components, including surface mount devices as well as through hole.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for manufacturing process development, implementation, and continuous improvement to enhance Quality / Yield, reduce Cost, and improve Productivity / Schedule. Initiate and lead lean manufacturing process improvement projects.
- Specify and implement automation equipment and processes.
- Identify and assist in addressing safety issues on the manufacturing floor.
- Support manufacturing production planning and coordination, execution and operations process development.
- Provide production support to assemblers and leads.
- Document manufacturing processes and assembly work instructions in conjunction with T&O Planning.
- Design shop aid tooling to assist production.
- Disposition non-conforming parts, identify root cause, and implement corrective and/or preventive action to reduce scrap and rework.
- Collaborate with Design Engineering during development, prototype and first article manufacturing.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; six or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, four or more years of experience with a masters degree, or two or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Expertise in electronic assembly methods and processes, including machine programming.
- Ability to read and effectively interpret gerber files as well as mechanical drawings.
- Experience with electrical testing including Continuity, Insulation Resistance, and Dielectric Withstanding Voltage testing, as well as related equipment, including wiring analyzers and network analyzers.
- Experience with Electrical Schematics and Circuit Diagrams; Drawings and BOMs; Assembly Instructions; Engineering Change systems; Quality systems for non-conforming parts and corrective action. Experience with Lean Manufacturing methodologies for waste reduction, e.g.: 5S, Standard Work, TAKT, Pull System, 5S, Value Stream Mapping, cell design, and manufacturing flow.
- Clearly and effectively communicate both verbally and in written form to both technical and non-technical audiences, especially regarding manufacturing processes, engineering issues and proposed changes, and quality issues and dispositions.
- Experience with IPC 610 and 620 as well as MIL standards including J-STD-001 – Requirements for Soldered Electrical and Electronic Assemblies, MIL-STD-1553 – Digital Time Division Command/Response Multiplex Data Bus, MIL-STD-1760 – Aircraft Electrical InterconnectionSystem, SAE-AS39029 (MIL-C-39029) – Electrical Connector Contacts, MIL-DTL-38999 – Circular Electrical Connectors, SAE-AS50881 (MIL-W-5088) – Wiring Aerospace Vehicle, NAVAIR 01-1A-505-1 – Aircraft Electric and Electronic Wiring, Technical Manual. Knowledge of electrical bonding; EMI shielding and filtering techniques; RF testing methods, e.g. VSWR. Experience implementing capital equipment in factory environment.
- Experience with MRP systems, eg SAP or MTO/WDS. Experience with Microsoft Office Project and Visio.
- Experience with programming.
- Experience with databases, e.g. Oracle and FileMaker. Knowledge of SQL.
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Must be a US Citizen.