TE Connectivity’s R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams are highly creative engineers whom work on developing novel and cutting edge high speed communication products to bring to market and make our customers successful. They are responsible for both internal and external customer collaboration throughout the projects life cycle from early conceptual designs, through product optimization and product qualification. The R&D/Product Development Engineering Teams provide all required product documentation including, but not limited to, solid models, production drawings, product specifications, testing requirements, and test analyses. Typical fields of expertise include: materials, mechanics and systems, electrical, automation systems, packaging, testing and measurement, and manufacturing of electrical, mechanical and electronic components, products, and their integration into systems.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
This position is for a Product Development Engineer on the High-Speed Cable Backplane team in the Data & Devices Business Unit. The ideal candidate would have both electrical and mechanical design competencies, enabling them to create innovative and cost-effective cable assembly and hardware solutions for high speed data communications customers.
- Develop custom and platform cable assembly and hardware designs to meet emerging market and customer demands.
- Translate internal and external product requirements into achievable product specifications.
- Responsible for collaborating directly with internal and external customers to develop solutions which meet both internal and external customer performance, cost, and schedule targets.
- Should be able to quickly and easily shift direction and provide alternative solutions based on feedback to original proposals.
- Must be familiar with all functional aspects of product design in order to effectively work with quality, manufacturing, signal integrity, packaging, and industrial engineering disciplines to successfully execute on product designs.
- Manage / prioritize engineering projects to insure key milestones are achieved.
- Develop requirements documentation based on customer inputs, product concepts, invention disclosures, detailed tolerancing schemes and associated print documentation, mechanical and electrical proof of concept plans and reports, prototype samples, product testing plans, test sample preparation, and lead product validation testing through root cause and data analyses work.
- Willingness to continuously expand knowledge of signal integrity, high speed product testing, and data interpretation.
- Independently conduct complex mechanical analyses to evaluate and predict design success.
- Work closely with signal integrity engineers to conduct complex electrical analyses to evaluate and predict design performance.
- Develop products using DFM / DFA inputs from core manufacturing / automation team.
- Willingness to participate in occasional domestic and international travel
- Bachelor of Science major in Mechanical Engineering.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite of software
- Computer Aided Drafting experiencerequired. Competency in Creo/PDM Link preferred.
- Experience with Finite Element Modeling (Ansys) preferred
- Familiarity with EIA test procedures.
- Strong commitment to/knowledge of engineering rigor, i.e. tolerance analysis, FEA simulation, design reviews, DFMEA, PFMEA, prototyping and verification testing.
- Capability of creative, analytical, and structured thinking with the ability to execute; must possess the maturity, technical competence and natural authority to look after technical interests with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing processes (stamping, plating, molding, & assembly)
- Knowledge in Basic Quality techniques and statistical analysis tools.
- Ability to understand and work out complex technical solutions
- Ability to communicate, listen, and drive cross-functional teams to accelerate the product development process.
- Strong organizational, written, and verbal communication skills