Our computational challenges are so big, complex and unique we can't just purchase off-the-shelf hardware, we've got to make it ourselves. Your team designs and builds the hardware, software and networking technologies that power all of Google's services. As a Staff Hardware Engineer, you design and build the systems that are the heart of the world's largest and most powerful computing infrastructure. You develop from the lowest levels of circuit design to large system design and see those systems all the way through to high volume manufacturing. Your work has the potential to shape the machinery that goes into our cutting-edge data centers affecting millions of Google users.
Soli is a breakthrough interactive technology based on pico radar. It opens exciting interaction possibilities in future wearables, internet-of-things, automotive and other applications, where traditional interfaces like touchscreens and buttons are either difficult or impossible to use. The technology is comprised of a miniature radar chip coupled with state-of-the-art signal processing and machine learning techniques that, when used as part of the full application stack, allow for revolutionary, magical user experiences.
When the project was publicly announced at Google I/O 2015, Soli attracted significant worldwide attention and interest from the community, press, and commercial partners. The Soli team is expanding to take on new challenges that come with bringing this exciting technology to real world applications and products that will amaze and delight our customers.
One of the driving forces of innovation at Google is our Advanced Technologies and Projects (ATAP) team. ATAP is a fast-paced, solution-oriented group developing and executing projects at the point where emerging science/technology trends meet consumer needs, products and services. Googlers working on ATAP projects will create demonstrations and user experiences that appear magical, simple and wondrous—and deliver at lightning speeds.
- Be responsible for integrating Soli hardware into the Google launch product, as a first-of-its kind 60GHz radar sensor.
- Work with the Product group to design, implement, bringup, test, debug, and manufacture devices enabled with Soli features.
- Handle review, test, and optimization electrical and mechanical designs in the product to maximize Soli SNR, while minimizing power consumption and coexistence issues.
- Be a primary point of contact for cross-functional teams including EE, PD, driver software, reliability, regulatory, coexistence, operations, and module test.
- Work with Test Engineers, Signal Processing Engineers, and UX Engineers on the Soli team to evaluate Soli performance at the product level and drive improvements through hardware.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience designing RF components or systems for consumer products.
- Experience providing technical leadership and direction to solve complex system problems that span across RF, mechanical, signal processing, UX, and manufacturing disciplines.
- Experience going to production with a consumer product, in either a component or a systems role.
- Experience with mmWave antennas and circuit design.
- Demonstrated experience with radar principles and design.
- Experience with PCB design.
- Experience working with EM simulation tools.