Staff Engineer, Software Development
8 - 10 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
Come join us, as we continue to revolutionize the TV-viewing experience for millions of customers worldwide. The TiVo product line integrates TV, movies, music, VOD, and OTT, along with new broadband applications – all with a single aim of providing the best user experience. We are now working on an exciting new product that combines the Emmy award winning TiVo User Interface with Cloud based capabilities to allow content to be viewed anywhere, anytime and on various types of devices. The metadata team at TiVo responsible for driving this product is looking for a skilled senior software engineer with experience in building scalable Video on Demand services architecture.
Here is what you’ll get to do:
- Work with internal and external partners in defining new features for handling and delivering metadata for Video on Demand
- Scope and document technical work based on business requirements
- Design, implement and document metadata pipelines using Python and other technologies as necessary for hosted and cloud-based services
- Prototype applications when assigned to evaluate new technologies and services
- Enhance the performance for metadata services, benchmark 3rd party components.
- Work with a large team of engineers in a cross-functional environment implementing high-quality products
- Be the Subject matter expert for TiVo’s Video on Demand ingest and publish technology.
Here is what you’ll need to be successful:
- 7+ years of experience in development of server-side backend components in Set Top Box (STB) domain.
- Experience with integration of third party program metadata for titles, packages, and categories.
- Experience with third party Video on Demand backend providers, and transcoding components.
- Experience with STB, Mobile & Web Clients functionality and their dependencies on Video on Demand Services.
- Experience in Object Oriented Design and Programming concepts in Python.
- Experience with MySQL databases using Python.
- Experience with writing SQL queries, triggers, and stored procedures.
- Experience in architecting distributed scalable platforms and database design.
- Experience using tools for software lifecycle and configuration management.
- Experience with REST based webservices.
- Experience in working with global teams.
- Deep understanding of ADI Specification
- Understanding of the architecture, components and workflow of the backed end of VOD systems.
- At least 5 years of direct hands-on experience in developing and maintaining scalable web services platform using Apache/Tomcat, XML/JSON and MYSQL (REST style services)
- Recent experience working in a Unix/Linux development and build environment
- Experience with large distributed architectures is a big plus
- Experience with Cloud Services (ideally AWS)
- Experience with containers (e.g. Docker) and micro-service architectures
- Experience with log-streaming technologies such as Kafka
- Experience in MYSQL query optimization preferred
- Working knowledge of rapid development project planning concepts in a software development environment, including scheduling and estimation. Prior experience with SCRUM/Agile a plus
- Understands real-time software characteristics including inter-process communication, message passing, locks, priorities and threads
- Facilitation and team-building skills at all levels. Ability to influence, train, mentor and leverage the skills of others, including business partners and technical team
- Experience with the technical and deployment challenges of migrating legacy systems to a new architecture
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- BS in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent experiencerequired