The Staff Engineer works largely unsupervised. The Staff Engineer is involved in mentoring and teaching subordinate department or group members in order to improve their product knowledge, subject matter understanding, skills and productivity. The Staff Engineer also will be involved in setup of strategic activities, process improvements, and specific scientific studies for research and development. The Staff Engineer will often be a team leader of either internal Cross Technical Teams (CTT) or external Cross Functional Teams (CFT) and responsible to drive associated projects to completion. The Staff Engineer can also serve in a consultant role in multiple functional teams. The Staff Engineer functions as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the respective products and disciplines in which he/she is trained and expert in and may be assigned to manage various aspects of products from development, changes, improvements, replacements, etc.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The software development team at Global Digital Solutions (GDS) is chartered with building Connected Health platform that allows deep data integration of Fresenius kidney dialysis products with patient care systems to help clinicians improve patient care globally. The SW Engineer Cloud will be working on new and continuing software development projects throughout the GDS medical software space.
- The diversity and complexity of the GDS development work ranges from design, development and implementation of IoT solutions, PKI services, multi-tenant clinician portals, integration with external EHR system and mobile applications. All accomplished within the context of medical software space.
- The primary area of focus for this role will be contributing by designing and further development of the IoT core of the system and its integration with other systems. The person may be expected to contribute to other Connected Health projects as assigned.
- The role requires effective decision-making skills along with the ability to clearly communicate and collaborate at all tiers of management and types of engineering to achieve team success
- The person in the role is expected to direct and provide technical guidance to on-shore and off-shore teams to develop, enhance or replace systems or sub-systems within Connected Health ecosystem.
- Develops and establishes detailed Engineering Input specifications to ensure proper product function, safety and quality in alignment with approved User Inputs.
- Leads in debugging, testing, code reviews and other types of investigations and design reviews.
- Provides advice and mentor other staff with new learning to increase overall department and group expertise and productivity.
- Other duties as assigned
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in software engineering or related discipline required; Advanced Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Deep understanding of software design considerations like microservices, design for security and domain driven design.
- Must have the ability to work at both high and low levels of abstraction to collaborate with cross-functional teams within the organization.
- Proficient in SDLC processes in regulated software space
- Experienced in .Net framework, .Net Core and associated Microsoft technologies
- Experienced in developing and deploying cloud-based applications and serverless architectures, preferably on the Azure cloud.
- Proficient with the concepts behind the design, implementation and operation of a Connected Product or IoT architecture.
- Directly contributed to the implementation of at least one IoT or Connected Products type of project. Familiarity with PTC Thingworx IoT would be preferred.
- Proficient in usage of relational and NoSQL databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server etc)
- Familiar with OAuth2, SSO and other authentication and authorization mechanisms
- Familiar with HL7 and FHIR standards
- Familiar with Agile development methodology