PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The Staff Engineer works largely unsupervised. The Staff Engineer is involved in mentoring and teaching subordinate department or group members in order to improve their product knowledge, subject matter understanding, skills and productivity. The Staff Engineer also will be involved in setup of strategic activities, process improvements, and specific scientific studies for research and development. The Staff Engineer will often be a team leader of either internal Cross Technical Teams (CTT) or external Cross Functional Teams (CFT) and responsible to drive associated projects to completion. The Staff Engineer can also serve in a consultant role in multiple functional teams. The Staff Engineer functions as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on the respective products and disciplines in which he/she is trained and expert in and may be assigned to manage various aspects of products from development, changes, improvements, replacements, etc.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acts as a subject matter expert for systems of responsibility.
- Assist with or Lead various projects as assigned by a direct supervisor.
- Coordinates with appropriate departments, resources, and/or outside services to prepare design modifications, clarify problems and develop designs for systems or responsibility.
- Designs and develops products that meet approved User Inputs, support business and market strategies, and are intended to generate revenue growth.
- Lead teams to develop, improve, modify, and replace systems or sub-system elements for assigned systems of responsibility.
- Develops and establishes detailed Engineering Input specifications to ensure product function and cost effective manufacturing.
- Oversees development of custom equipment to support small scale product assembly and testing.
- An expected contributor to the generation of ideas and potential inventions.
- Maintains a safe work environment for self and other employees.
- Maintains a clean work area.
- Mentor other staff, position subordinates for promotion and increase overall department/group expertise whenever possible.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in related engineering or scientific discipline required; Advanced Degree preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 8 - 12 years' related experience;
- Master's degree with >6 years' related experience;
- PhD with >3 years' related industry experience; or equivalent directly related work experience.
Addendum: Software IoT
- Architect level implementation experience with the design, implementation and operation of a full-scale IoT architecture from asset connectivity, to data aggregation and normalization, to integration to other enterprise technology systems
- Must have contributed significantly to at least one IoT / Connected Product project and be able to describe those contributions
- At least 2 years of experience in Thingworx Foundation & Thingworx Utilities ideally with certifications
- At least 2 years of experience in developing Web services.
- At least 2 years of experience in developing java script
- DBMS Skills: RDBMS (PostgreSQL, MSSQL and others)
- Expert in the full software development life cycle using IEC 62304.
- Provide technical solutions of wide range of difficult software engineering problems.
- Evaluate systems/components and make recommendations for improvements and solutions.
- Leads in debug and test of integrated software using software and hardware tools as needed.
- Leads in code reviews and other related design reviews.
- Work with other senior personnel to drive fast-paced learning and implementation of new learning.
- Regularly evaluate the performance of each member of the team and provide candid and constructive feedback.
- Actively seek and coordinate professional development and improvement opportunities for the members of the team.
- Contribute at a high level on cross-functional teams within the organization.
- Foster culture of collaboration, knowledge transfer, and continuous learning at all times.
- Identify, suggest, validate and verify off the shelf software for use in a project.
- Provide strong technical leadership to a software team with junior engineers via mentoring.
- Expert with integrated development environments, software source control and general software practices.
- Requires excellent problem solving skills.
- Experience in Agile Development