We’re looking for a developer-focused staff engineer to drive technical vision and large projects across Security. Because of Stripe’s large user base and global availability, your primary user will be external: millions of businesses all over the world, and extending to their end users, who trust Stripe with their most sensitive data. You will do this by supporting engineering teams inside Stripe to build secure by default products. You will have the opportunity to build abstractions, frameworks and libraries that allow developers to focus on their job while security will be done correctly for them under the covers.
This role is critical, not only for Stripe, but for the future of the commercial internet.
As a Staff Engineer on Security Infrastructure, you will:
- Scope and lead large technical projects with enormous impact across many teams at Stripe
- Scrutinize and reason clearly about the technology and architecture choices we make in building — – Security at Stripe. In many cases, you will be the decider of these decisions
- Directly contribute to core interface design and write code. Serve as a role model for software design and scalable systems architecture by developing, sharing, and setting the quality bar for Stripe as a whole
- Arbitrate critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Stripe system realities, and numerous stakeholders’ preferences and concerns
- Advise Stripe’s leadership team on key technical considerations related to the future of payments security. If you’re successful, you will change the trajectory of the payment and security industry as a whole
- Work effectively cross functionally
- Teach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Stripe
You may be a fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience with software engineering and systems design at a top tier software company
- You have been a Staff, Senior Staff, Principal, or Distinguished Engineer at a top tier company
- You have served as the technical lead for a hundred engineers or more
- You have owned the technical roadmap for large business areas
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you
- You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your teams. Even senior engineers feel that they’re able to learn from you
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable.