Staff Engineer - Robot Product Development
POSITION PROFILE (Major duties, accountabilities, and responsibilities)
1. Create new product concepts and designs and prove out feasibility of innovative functions and features that contribute to key product performance requirements.
2. Conduct, supervise and approve the development of plastic part designs and material specifications, purchased component specifications and end product specifications and ensure proper documentation is incorporated into BISSELL systems.
3. Lead the resolution of and maintain responsibility for technical issues on all assigned projects by providing solid engineering analysis and problem solving, and communicate and direct technical activities as necessary to ensure project success.
4. Establish technical definition, provide technical direction, and undertake feasibility studies for new products from "Project Charter" and "Maintenance Requests" for assigned projects.
5. Establish and maintain clear lines of communication with technical teams located at or near manufacturing sites throughout the project. This includes both BISSELL and supplier based associates depending on location.
6. Prepare and present technical information as required to functions outside of PD&E, including management, on projects or issues that may affect business decisions.
7. Recommend and participate in the creation and improvement of test plans, methods and equipment as needed for assigned projects.
8. Oversee and Contribute to the analysis of test data and test results, especially for critical to quality functions to ensure product integrity and performance through close collaboration with the test engineer and the test lab. 9. Coordinate agency product approval with the project Compliance Engineer by providing timely and complete design and specification information, adherence to BISSELL agency design standards, and supply of proper samples for testing. 10. Provide accurate and complete Technical Deliverables during product development and review Technical Deliverables from other technical functions as required for GPD project execution. 11. Communicate and coordinate with core project team members (Project Management, Marketing, Operations/Purchasing, and Consumer Design) to ensure technical milestones and deliverables are aligned with commercial goals and deliverables of the project. 12. Communicate and coordinate with core technical project team members (CAD (Mechanical Design), Quality, Test Engineering, Compliance, Legal, and Model Shop) to plan and provide accurate data and timing on projects to ensure a smooth and accurate completion of GPD deliverables. 13. Coordinate with the Quality Engineer to ensure the execution of product Quality Plans on full devices and the most critical components or assemblies to ensure specifications are maintained during production. 14. Coach and mentor less experienced engineers, designers, and supervise co-ops (as assigned).
15. Provide information to prepare and verify technical content of patents and associated legal documentation as requested for new inventions. 16. May be required to perform other duties as assigned.Position RequirementsREQUIRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: (i.e., degree, years of experience, etc.) * Degree minimum:
* Bachelor's degree (Master's preferred)
* Specific concentration:
* Computer Science, Software Engineering, or similar. A broad understanding of microprocessors, microcontrollers, detection systems, embedded software architecture, controls theory, simulation and modelling.
* Experience level:
* 12 or more years in Product Development of similar products
* 7 or more years in Embedded Software and Controls design
* Strength in engineering fundamentals and technical problem solving
* Familiar with the specification and integration of mechanical and electrical systems
* Work on multiple new product development projects simultaneously
* Experience in test development and analysis of test results
* Demonstrated creativity in developing new electro-mechanical products
* Technical project management PREFERRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: (i.e., MBA, certifications, etc.) * 5 or more years in work experience in consumer focused autonomous device development
* Masters in Robotics Software Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR SKILLS REQUIRED: * Experience with product concept, scoping, and requirement development
* Experience with small electro-mechanical components (motors, pumps, switches, sensors, etc.)
* Experience with developing embedded software architectures
* Experience with rapid development techniques and task management
* Experience with mobile robotic platform development and the theory and principles behind their design and implementation.
* Embedded microcontroller/microprocessor familiarity including ARM Cortex-M series; experience with Cortex-A series is a plus.
* Embedded software design concepts for bare metal or lightweight real-time operating systems.
* Software Languages and Libraries including, but not limited to: C/C++, Python, OpenCL/VX.
* Experience in software design for safety, like IEC 60730.
* Experience in mentoring direct or indirect supervision of technical staff.