Under minimal supervision of the Mechanical Engineering Management, and with broad scope of responsibility, the Staff Mechanical Engineer designs and documents mechanical components, products, or systems of the highest levels of complexity. Mentors and provides guidance to less experienced engineers and designers.
- Develops and oversees highly complex mechanical design, layout, testing, and evaluation of audio products and systems utilizing sound mechanical design fundamentals that meet Company standards.
- Creates fully defined 3D models and associated 2D documentation using CAD software (Siemens NX).
- Validates designs by testing and utilizing various techniques including tolerance analysis, FEA, DFM, and DFA, and occasionally CAE tools.
- Produces component designs that can be manufactured using established processes such as injection molding, die casting, machining, and sheet metal forming; interacts with in-house Tooling Engineers and external suppliers as needed.
- Helps fabricate design prototypes using appropriate methods such as SLA, 3D Printing, in-house model shop, etc.
- Leads the design, performance and evaluation of experiments to solve complex engineering problems, and to validate simulation (e.g., FloTHERM thermal analysis) with empirical results.
- Performs feasibility studies and testing on new and/or modified designs to resolve engineering problems.
- Participates on cross-functional project teams involved with the product development process for new designs, including preparing and conducting mechanical design reviews and peer reviews.
- Supports ongoing production/manufacturing via the engineering change process, as needed.
- Provides work leadership and guidance to less experienced engineering and technical staff.
- Prepares mechanical engineering studies, specifications, and cost estimates.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field. Master's degree desired.
- Minimum of 12 years of experience possessing broad experience and knowledge in Mechanical Engineering concepts involving wireless and/or audio product development, including experience contributing to the development of company objectives and standards.
- Experience with 3D CAD solid modeling software is required. Knowledge of Siemens NX is preferred.
- Possess strong working knowledge of rapid prototyping techniques, sufficient to select the most appropriate methods to generate prototypes of designs (SLA, 3D Printing, Shure Model Shop, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability of working on significant and unique mechanical design issues where analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangibles
- Exercises independent judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Ability to work effectively in a leadership role, in a collaborative and cross functional team environment.
- Skilled in successfully completing new assignments and in providing guidance to less-experienced engineering staff as well as additional internal customers (manufacturing, marketing, applications, etc.).
- Strong communication skills are required; Expected to prepare and give presentations to all levels in the Organization.
- Conversational use of Spanish and/or Mandarin is helpful.